SOLVED Changing FreeNAS Server Name

rfielder

Explorer
Is there any way to change the name of the server to something other than FreeNAS?

I already have one FreeNAS server on my network. It was hoped that the new server could be called miniNAS. However, I can't see any way to change the server name, during install or when logged in to the system.

Because they both end up being called FreeNAS, you can't link to the new server by using \\FreeNAS under Windows. I can get to the new server by using the IP address, but that address seems to change from time to time, so that is not a reliable method.

Thanks in advance!

blueether

Patron
have a look under /network/configuration/Hostname in th WebUI

rfielder

Explorer
Thanks! That worked perfectly!!

JFSN

Cadet
Try a reboot?
I fixed the problem, when you go to windows files explorer-network/network sharing then in the the bar left of the search bar you tybe in \\{Server Name} and hit enter than it will save your server as the server name you set it as in Global Configuration, so global configuration name is the server name you have to type after the 2 \\ and must be typed exactly like my example, my server host name is CLOUD-SERVER so i must type \\CLOUD-SERVER and hit enter and then the server will save as the name you want it, must do it at Network/Network sharing part of file explorer on windows only

I blurred out some stuff for safety reasons so that my name or parents names does not get leaked or go public

Attachments

• Screenshot (29).png
    Screenshot (29).png
    288.4 KB · Views: 2,146

csab6597

Cadet
I am running TrueNAS Core, Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U8
I did change the server name under /network/configuration/Hostname in the WebUI to someNas

Now I can access all my windows shares, for example \\someNas\Data as expected, but still also via \\TRUENAS\Data (!) On my Windows 11 client machine under network neighborhood only TRUENAS shows up, and I have to type \\someNas into the searchbar to get there. That seems weird?

sretalla