Freenas conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorneDJ

Cadet
Hi,

I am not an expert with Linux, and installed FreeNAS last year for use as a file server. It worked brilliantly and without any input from me. two weeks ago I installed it on a second server, and it installed no problem, but since the moment it came online I have been having DNS issues. I assumed that it is because the server also used the Name FreeNAS as per the previous server. So I logged in via the IP provided (after disconnecting the other server) and changed it. Yet, when both the servers are on I have issues seeing other PC's on the network. I cannot see the first FreeNAS server when the new one is online.

After changing the name I have been able to log into both using the IP address, but I cannot connect to them using the hostname. When I remove the new server I can connect to the old server using the name FreeNAS.

Any idea how I can change the name of a Freenas install during the install ?
Why can't I change the name after the install (when I log in it tells me the name was changed, but I cannot connect to it using the hostname). I also have DNS issues on the network when both servers are on).

Regards

Morne

donairb

Dabbler
You mention not being an expert with Linux, but you don't say whether you have any Linux machines on the network.

Are you, by any chance, connecting from Windows through a CIFS share?

Brian

toddos

Contributor
Change your NetBIOS name in the CIFS configuration (Services, click the wrench by CIFS).

MorneDJ

Cadet
Hi,

There are 3x Windows XP, and up to 7x Win 7 machines on the network, the old FreeNAS server and an Ubuntu Server machine. I tried installing Ubuntu on this PC but never could get the network up and running. Will try that can come back once the power is back on .. SA is still a bloody third world country.

MorneDJ

Cadet
Brilliant. It works great. I can now see both servers. I saw that the hostname for both were FreeNAS. I messed up the one a bit and I will have to reset to factory defaults, but now I have no remote access.

I however cannot write anything to the new server. It does not allows me to copy anything to this server. I try to change the permissions under > Storage > Volumes > /mnt/Storage > Change Permissions but it does not accept the changes ? Any help please ?

MorneDJ

Cadet
NVM. I changed the owner to nobody and now it works. I do not use Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.