Changing FreeNAS hostname breaks SMB group mappings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to reproduce this issue where the samba groups no longer are seen in Windows share permissions and only show up as an Unknown SID after altering the freenas hostname. I suspect the Samba server changes the netbios name and alters the main server SID and in turn all of these are orphaned. I ran into this once and found redoing the storage dataset's by scratch and groups fixed it. Yet I am now in production with this and a large amount of data all with the right permissions (just wrong windows SID group permissions it seems). Does anyone else have experience fixing this issue with the least intrusive way on a production system you just altered the hostname of? Is it a bug or is it expected, and how does one fix it with the least interruptions?

This happened in 11.0, and I am on 11.1-U1 which it happened again.

Thanks!

I found an answer after digging for awhile, I guess if you change the hostname of a freenas server you need to run /usr/local/bin/fixsid.py to fix the SID :). This seems like something which should be ran automatically on hostname changes, right? Well all is well it seems now from running that script, info was buried in old bug tickets where this was from a bug I guess of some sort in 9.X versions of freenas and the script fixed the mapping issues for the groups.

Ah yet after running the fixsid.py script the groups resolve in windows yet the user is shown as "Account Unknown" ? It still works I guess because of the group permissions. Yet this is not a solution it seems and broke the users mapping which is a new aspect to this issue.

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.