SOLVED Changes in SMB for 11.1U5 to 11.1U6?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
... I want to say system 9... have to double check that though. The DuoDock has a ethernet port via a NuBus card, IIRC.

My Mac SE needs to use a SCSI-based ethernet adapter and I don't remember if I still have the installer disk for that.

MrBaker999

Cadet
The entire industry is trying to get everyone off of the old protocol because it is inherently insecure. The devices you have that are still using it, and can't be upgraded, need to go in the rubbish bin of history. If you choose to continue to use something that is antiquated, you should expect to have some difficulty making it work.

I don't disagree with a word you've said in these posts, in principle.

But no one here lives in a principle. We live in the real world. You're basically telling that guy with his Sonos system to throw it in the trash. Maybe he doesn't have enough money to replace it? Maybe it was a gift? Maybe it's on his heavily firewalled private home network?

And the attitude in general. There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling someone a protocol (or etc.) is insecure and shouldn't be used, but forums like these should be solutions-focused, not complaining-that-someone-shouldn't-have-a-problem-they're-having focused. I know you did iterate the solution as far as downgrading to v1, but it was only after lengthily complaining about how users should throw out tech that might be (a) valuable, (b) difficult and time consuming to reproduce, recode, reimage, or (c) supporting some legacy software that is a dependency of something that falls under (a) or (b).

I still have an old laptop running XP because the phone system in our old office (pre-Virus Times) could only have its voicemail managed through a proprietary application from ~2004 that was no longer being updated by the vendor, and try as I might I could not get that app to operate properly on Win7, 8, or 10. I would have loved to upgrade the phone system. My boss' wallet did not want to upgrade the phone system, and so there we were.

In any case, yes SMB1 is vulnerable and feature-poor. Fine. But who is the arbiter of when we should throw our un-upgradeable tech in the trash? The same day a vulnerability is discovered? The exact day that patches stop being produced, and the maintainer of the code/OS/etc says "we no longer support this"? Or do we, the users, have some leeway against the arbitrary decisions of other entities to stop supporting a particular version of software? What is that leeway? Can I use SMB1 for a month after it's deprecated? A year? Two years? How long until I'm the victim of rants? I know in this case it's been a very long time, but unfortunately we're the users, not the vendors releasing hardware with firmware that only support SMB1.

Also, as some people have pointed out, context is important. For example, at home I have an old enterprise switch from HP that's past its prime. For my own ease of use, I have naked telnet enabled to manage the switch. You would say "throw it out, that's crazy, you're dumb", but it's only enabled on one physical port that has absolutely nothing connected to it. I bring over a laptop and connect to it on the exceedingly rare occasion I need to reconfigure it. Sure, the switch might have a vulnerability or two on its firmware anyway, but like most people using a free/opensource NAS solution I can't afford to replace it. So by your logic I should use.... an unmanaged Buffalo Technologies switch and just let my VLANs comingle? Or should I just tear out all the cables and take it offline, and call Verizon up and see if they still do landlines?

IMO it's the user's decision to use outdated tech if they want to. Pointing out the risks is fine, but keep it brief and focus on solving the problem is all I'm asking.

And like it or not, sometimes dependencies are stacked on dependencies on dependencies on some legacy code, and it can be extremely expensive and time consuming to throw it all in the trash and start over.

Again, it's the real world and some of us have to live with the cards we're dealt. We need workable solutions, not to be reminded of our lack of money and/or time to achieve a perfectly patched and secure environment in our houses / small businesses forever and always. If we were all enterprise sysadmins in a Fortune 500 company with a large ops team, then yes, I'd expect us all to implement security best-practices at all times.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And the attitude in general. There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling someone a protocol (or etc.) is insecure and shouldn't be used, but forums like these should be solutions-focused, not complaining-that-someone-shouldn't-have-a-problem-they're-having focused.

[Moderator Note]

While you are welcome to such an opinion, please bear in mind that it is up to the moderation team to determine what sort of content is acceptable on the forums. There is no need for posts on these forums to be "solutions-focused." Any cogent discussion related to an issue is generally welcome. It does not have to be what a user wants to hear.

The unfortunate truth is that the computing world evolves at a relatively frantic pace, and that a lot of hardware becomes obsolete far before it should. Hardware vendors have virtually no incentive to make devices that will be updateable for a decade or more. This turns into a minefield because people are resistant to throw away "perfectly good" hardware that no longer has functional software, and you can get away with this right up to the point where there is some exploit which converts your crappy IoT device into a DDoS generator. As long as vendors have no motivation to keep updating a device for the reasonable lifespan of the device, we're going to continue to have problems with excessive e-waste, DDoS magnets, security problems, etc. There is no winning this in the current situation, so rather than scolding someone who has posted a reasonable argument, let's try to keep this on an even keel.

Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't disagree with a word you've said in these posts, in principle.
...but you joined so you could revive a thread that had been dead for a year and a half, to complain about it. Why?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Well, that's one way to make an entry to the forum. :smile:

Coming back to the topic on hand, generally, the folk that come to FreeNAS / TrueNAS are interested in preserving their data. Why else noodle your way through the many different hoops that make up the TrueNAS ecosystem when a Drobo, QNAP, Synology, whatever can likely achieve much of the same share file functionality as TrueNAS / FreeNAS? Efficient file servers can consist of little more than a Raspberry Pi and drive.

Thus, it is neither surprising nor unusual for folk here to steer people away from using SMB1 NLTM v.1 unless there are really good reasons. MS feels the same way by disabling SMB1 by default in Windows 10. It's nothing new either, as Ned Pyle who maintains SMB has asked the industry to stop using SMB1 since 2016 or so. He and his team have allegedly even offered to help some vendors like Sonos to upgrade their SMB implementations to SMB2+. But that was apparently a no go at Sonos since upgrading to SMB2+ hasn't happened even in the new S2 environment, IIRC.

So, while I maintain a Sonos rig (and prevent it from bricking its CR100 controller with all sorts of unnatural acts), I do not allow Sonos to read directly from the server. Took too long to rip all those songs to risk yet another Sonos security risk from taking the server down. Because you can't just dumb down the server on one share to SMB1, you dumb it down for all shares. A RPi takes over for that job, using a 2TB drive. Easy, cheap, low power, and expendable.