Change web interface ip to website address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurney

Cadet
Hi guys,
I want to change my Web interface address 192.168.xx.xx to www. Cloud.xx.com. what are the steps?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doing so would be an invitation for the Russian Mafia, as such it is irresponsible to tell you how to do such a thing.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I want to change my Web interface address 192.168.xx.xx to www. Cloud.xx.com. what are the steps?
There are no steps, because it isn't possible--the web GUI needs an IP address, which is a set of numbers. You can, if you care nothing for the security of your data or network, put the web GUI on the public Internet, and give it a public IP address. But even then, the mapping of the domain name to the IP address would be handled by a DNS host, not by FreeNAS.

But, in case it wasn't clear enough above: The web GUI should NEVER be exposed to the public Internet.

Edit: But if exposing the web GUI itself wasn't what you had in mind, maybe you can explain a bit more of what you're hoping to accomplish, rather than just how you think it should be done.

Last edited:

Jurney

Cadet
There are no steps, because it isn't possible--the web GUI needs an IP address, which is a set of numbers. You can, if you care nothing for the security of your data or network, put the web GUI on the public Internet, and give it a public IP address. But even then, the mapping of the domain name to the IP address would be handled by a DNS host, not by FreeNAS.

But, in case it wasn't clear enough above: The web GUI should NEVER be exposed to the public Internet.

Edit: But if exposing the web GUI itself wasn't what you had in mind, maybe you can explain a bit more of what you're hoping to accomplish, rather than just how you think it should be done.
Any other solutions to access my web GUI even as user or root?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why do you want to access the web GUI remotely? But yes, a VPN connection, where you run a VPN server at your site, and connect to it using a client when you're remote, would be safe, assuming you were using a decent (i.e., not PPTP) VPN.

Jurney

Cadet
Why do you want to access the web GUI remotely? But yes, a VPN connection, where you run a VPN server at your site, and connect to it using a client when you're remote, would be safe, assuming you were using a decent (i.e., not PPTP) VPN.
I want to access web GUI when I am in other country for business?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I want to access web GUI when I am in other country for business?
You still haven't said why (and you don't generally need to use the GUI of a running system very often), but whatever--set up a VPN server on your LAN (on your router would probably be best), and you should be set.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.