Can't use a SMB share as default save folder for applications

runeazn

Dabbler
Hello everyone!

I am new here, but I think I have an unique problem. I searched around for solutions but none of the issues are comparable to mine.
My goal is to set the default project folders of visual studio 2017 to a share of my freenas server. The problem that appears is that it apparently can not write to a -hidden- folder it creates.
It is regarding a .db file, is there a reason that these files can not be written to a share? I have to say, I can store files from my drives and save files from other applications on this share just fine.
For a graphical error see the attached image.

I do have a second minor problem, once I run an application in administrator mode I can not find the share in the file explorer. It is unavailable. This might be connected to the above issue, I don't know.

Attachments

• hellup.png
    hellup.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 372
Is the share mapped as a network drive? Probably have to do that to make it work.

runeazn

Dabbler
Is the share mapped as a network drive? Probably have to do that to make it work.
Yes it is, it is able to create folders and files but somehow stops when creating that particular file.
As you can see in the image, it uses windows D: drive, implying it is either a real drive or a network drive.

Redcoat

MVP
I do have a second minor problem, once I run an application in administrator mode I can not find the share in the file explorer. It is unavailable. This might be connected to the above issue, I don't know.
This is normal situation in admin mode - prefix your drive location with "net use" ie: net use <letter>: \\<server>\<share>.

I don't know if it's connected to your primary issue.

runeazn

Dabbler
This is normal situation in admin mode - prefix your drive location with "net use" ie: net use <letter>: \\<server>\<share>.

I don't know if it's connected to your primary issue.

I am not sure how to use net use, since the assigned letter is to the share. Could you elaborate?

I did try, net use \\192.168.3.3\Dozo\source in the box for location in visual studio.
However it tells me it is either read only, invalid or has an assigned letter.

CMD tells me it is successful though.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Some thoughts:

1. Check the Permissions of "D:\Source\Comp2List\.vs\Comp2List\v15"
  2. It may be an issue with the folder named starting with a dot ".vs"; there may be an attribute that can be used to address this on the share (just don't recall it)
  3. I am assuming this is a CIFS/SMB share?
  4. Running anything in "Administrative Mode" is not going to give you the same network access as the User; this is due to it being an entirely different profile. So say you have "D" mapped as "UserA" and open a command prompt (Not an Administrative CMD Prompt)... If you type in: Net Use you will see a list of mappings from "UserA". Try the same within an Administrative CMD prompt and results will be different (unless "UserA" is an Administrator).

runeazn

Dabbler
Some thoughts:

1. Check the Permissions of "D:\Source\Comp2List\.vs\Comp2List\v15"
  2. It may be an issue with the folder named starting with a dot ".vs"; there may be an attribute that can be used to address this on the share (just don't recall it)
  3. I am assuming this is a CIFS/SMB share?
  4. Running anything in "Administrative Mode" is not going to give you the same network access as the User; this is due to it being an entirely different profile. So say you have "D" mapped as "UserA" and open a command prompt (Not an Administrative CMD Prompt)... If you type in: Net Use you will see a list of mappings from "UserA". Try the same within an Administrative CMD prompt and results will be different (unless "UserA" is an Administrator).
The attribute of a '.' should be hidden folder, which is shows as. The user accessing the drive is an administrator on this device.
The permission is set at full control. It's a Samba share yeah.

Mirfster

runeazn

Dabbler
3b8f20211a.png

No it doesn't appear, I could remember it did but maybe it changed after restart.

Mirfster

I would think that may be the issue.

once I run an application in administrator mode I can not find the share in the file explorer.

Since the application is running in "Administrator Mode" it basically is using a different profile (I am suspecting). If you said that the account you are logged on with does have "Admin Rights"; then simply try to run it normally and see what happens.

Otherwise, you can try to map the drive from within in an "Administrative CMD Prompt" and then try running the Application with Administrative Rights.

Example: Net Use D: "\\192.168.3.3\Dozo\source"

runeazn

Dabbler
I would think that may be the issue.

Since the application is running in "Administrator Mode" it basically is using a different profile (I am suspecting). If you said that the account you are logged on with does have "Admin Rights"; then simply try to run it normally and see what happens.

Otherwise, you can try to map the drive from within in an "Administrative CMD Prompt" and then try running the Application with Administrative Rights.

Example: Net Use D: "\\192.168.3.3\Dozo\source"

Net Use D: "\\192.168.3.3\Dozo"
I tried to map it in the adminstrator cmd, and tried to run visual studio in both user as well as adminstrator mode, to no avail it still gives the same error message.

If I try to map source it asks me to overwrite something which is weird on its own. See attachment.
feddf76fb7.png

runeazn

Dabbler
I read it before and did not really apply to my problem, since I thought I had a write permission error.

Doing some more targeted google search, it appears to be that multiple people have been able to reproduce this problem. Unfortunately, there has no answer been found yet to solve this problem. I guess, I should find some other solution to synchronize the intellisense files I guess.

See:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/13665
and
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...isense-files-on-network-drive?forum=vcgeneral

Thanks for the help though!

Mirfster

John Simmons

Cadet
I read it before and did not really apply to my problem, since I thought I had a write permission error.

Doing some more targeted google search, it appears to be that multiple people have been able to reproduce this problem. Unfortunately, there has no answer been found yet to solve this problem. I guess, I should find some other solution to synchronize the intellisense files I guess.

See:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/13665
and
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...isense-files-on-network-drive?forum=vcgeneral

Thanks for the help though!

Hey, I know it's been two years, but I'm running into the same problem setting up a VS project on a FreeNAS SMB share. Were you ever able to solve this? If not, what did you end up doing?

Thank you!