Can't delete folder contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
Hello everyone. I have recently setup my first FreeNAS home server and have having a problem.

I transferred some data over the network to my CIFS share and it didn't transfer properly. I want to delete the contents and re-transfer it. However, I get an error when trying to delete a specific folder.

"DevMateLaunchReporter" is running and will not let me delete it. Also one of the sub folders of that folder says I don't have permissions.

Is there a way I can manually delete it?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Have you tried deleting it from the Shell on the FreeNAS system?

carleycr

Patron
Excuse me for being a noob to freenas, but not really sure how to do that? I'm assuming googling this would get me some information?

Whattteva

Wizard
Should be able to find it on Google.
It should include some combinations of cd (change directory) and rm (remove) commands.
Be extra careful with the rm command as it does NOT prompt you for confirmation nor does it move things to a recycle bin. It's a real destructive command.

carleycr

Patron
Great, I'll do some searching and try those commands. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Because you are a noob, it won't be that simple to tell you what to do and for you to learn it, that will take considerable time. But sometimes you will need that knowledge in the future again. I'm not sure how Dru will answer this question but I'll start off by asking you how much data you have on that dataset.

The other easy way to handle this is to have someone remote into your machine and remove the files for you but there are trust issues there and if you don't have the expertise to open up a port to do this in the first place it could be doomed from the start.

I'm not sure what the "DevMateLaunchReporter" is but if it's a program running on your main machine then I'd reboot your computer and try again to delete the file(s)/folder(s).

EDIT: Those 'rm' commands can get you into trouble if you do those in the wrong location.

Status
Not open for further replies.