Can't Update Plex... again.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Code:
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # uname -K                                            
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # uname -U                                            
root@plexmediaserver1:/ #                                                      
root@plexmediaserver1:/ #    

How do I do this? I am in the OLD interface.
Your jail is running freebsd 9.3. that was eol'ed almost a year ago. That's why you are not getting updates. You need to rebuild your jail with freebsd 11.2 the current version.

BamBamm

Patron
But how do I rebuild the jail and not lose everything?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Your jail is running freebsd 9.3. that was eol'ed almost a year ago. That's why you are not getting updates. You need to rebuild your jail with freebsd 11.2 the current version.
He has his actual video files in the jail. Are you going to walk him through the process of transferring and setting up his jail properly?

danb35

Hall of Famer
He has his actual video files in the jail. Are you going to walk him through the process of transferring and setting up his jail properly?
However he's going to figure out how to do it, it's still what needs to be done.
But how do I rebuild the jail and not lose everything?
I'm not going to go step-by-step because I simply don't have the time, but here are the broad strokes. You should be able to find more detail on these steps in other threads here and/or in the manual.
  • Create a directory or dataset on your FreeNAS box to hold your media
  • Add it as storage to your current Plex jail, at a different location than where your media is currently located
  • Go to the shell in your current Plex jail
  • service plexmediaserver stop
  • Move your media from its current location to the new mount point
  • (optional, but recommended) Back up your Plex configuration data
  • Exit the shell, stop your current Plex jail, and turn off autostart for that jail
  • Create a new iocage jail for Plex with Plexpass. Keep the same IP address as you had on the old jail.
  • Add the directory you created at step 1 as a mount point to the new jail. Put it in the same path where your media was stored in the old jail
  • If you backed up your Plex configuration/metadata, restore it; otherwise configure Plex to find its media in the place where you put it

DoubleIPA

Explorer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are no help at all in this thread. You just keep making things more complicated.

Just create the new jail. Move the media files just how he got them in the jail in the first place. Then move the plexdata directory like all the guides describe when moving to a new install.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
You are no help at all in this thread. You just keep making things more complicated.

Just create the new jail. Move the media files just how he got them in the jail in the first place. Then move the plexdata directory like all the guides describe when moving to a new install.
And if he listened to your original advice he would have lost his data. But hey, I get the Nasty part.

He needs more hand-holding then you're offering.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
And if he listened to your original advice he would have lost his data. But hey, I get the Nasty part.

He needs more hand-holding then you're offering.
how? I never told him to delete anything. I said to create a new jail and rebuild plex. You can have multiple jails and multiple plex installs. You don't have to delete anything. Heck if he wanted to just leave the data in the jail and mount that dataset in the new jail.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
how? I never told him to delete anything. I said to create a new jail and rebuild plex. You can have multiple jails and multiple plex installs. You don't have to delete anything. Heck if he wanted to just leave the data in the jail and mount that dataset in the new jail.
It appeared implied to just install the new plugin in 11.2 and be done with the old jail and nothing beyond that (which I had previous told him, not realizing his data was in the actual jail - and I don't think you realized it either). I think danb35 has taken care of the process. He may need a little more guidance beyond that?

It took time to understand his setup (because it wasn't normal), perhaps you would have done it more concisely and quicker than I, but I don't need to be ridiculed by you for trying to help.

Last edited:

BamBamm

Patron
I am moving all 5tbs of data out of my Plex folder and into a folder located to another spot.

Thank you for all the help.