Can't Update Plex... again.

BamBamm

Patron
Plex has stopped working on PS4 and the Roku. It says it needs to be updated. I tried to update via following various forum posts, but it isn't updating. I have FreeNAS-11.1-U6 currently installed and I subscribe to Plex. Here is an image of my jail...
Plex_Screenshot_1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

DoubleIPA

Explorer
I ran into the same problem in 11.2. I ended up just upgrading through the shell.

BamBamm

Patron
How did you do that?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Open the shell
Type: jls and find the JID that matches your jail hostname.
Type: jexec (the JID number) csh
Type: pkg update && pkg upgrade
after update finishes
Type: pkg install plexmediaserver

It's far easier in the new 11.2 Jail/IOCage system.

Last edited:

BamBamm

Patron
Thank you. I will try this in the morning.

BamBamm

Patron
Doesn't work, no jls name found.

Plex_Screenshot_2.jpg

Nvious1

Explorer
The commands need to run from the freenas shell. In your case you are already inside your jail. So run this part only.

Open the shell
Type: pkg update && pkg upgrade
after update finishes
Type: pkg install plexmediaserver

EDIT: Keep in mind that he is recommending that you install the pkg version of plex. If you did some kind of manual install, originally you might need to check your configurations point to the correct metadata locations to pickup your existing install.

BamBamm

Patron
Ok, thank you. I will try this when I get home.

BamBamm

Patron
It upgraded, thank you.

BamBamm

Patron
So Plex updated to version 1.3 but when I try to watch Plex it says I need version 1.5.
I tried to update like before, but it doesn't update. Here is a "copy" of what was done in Shell.

Code:
Stopping plexmediaserver.                                                       
Waiting for PIDS: 18780, 18780.                                                 
Cleaning up leftover child processes.                                           
Waiting for PIDS: 18781, 18781.                                                 
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade                             
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...                                       
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.                                               
All repositories are up-to-date.                                               
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%                                     
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%                                     
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)                                     
Your packages are up to date.                                                   
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # pkg install plexmediaserver                           
The most recent version of packages are already installed                       
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # service plexmediaserver start                         
Starting plexmediaserver.                                                       
root@plexmediaserver1:/ #  

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What version of freenas are you running?

BamBamm

Patron
FreeNAS-11.1-U7

I checked for an Update and it is installing.

Last edited:

BamBamm

Patron
Running 11.2 and it still doesn't update Plex. Plex is version 1.3 & it says I need v1.5.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Did you rerun pkg update && pkg upgrade inside the jail shell?
you may want to try:

service plexmediaserver stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
service plexmediaserver start.

I'm currently on 1.14.1.5488.

BamBamm

Patron
Yes, I did and it still doesn't upgrade.

Code:
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # service plexmediaserver stop                                                                             
Stopping plexmediaserver.                                                                                                           
Waiting for PIDS: 9204, 9204.                                                                                                       
Cleaning up leftover child processes.                                                                                               
Waiting for PIDS: 9210 9205, 9210.                                                                                                 
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade                                                                                 
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%                                                                                         
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%                                                                                         
Your packages are up to date.                                                                                                       
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # pkg install plexmediaserver                                                                               
The most recent version of packages are already installed                                                                           
root@plexmediaserver1:/ # service plexmediaserver start                                                                             
Starting plexmediaserver.                                                                                                           

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Try this and see what it returns:

pkg_version -v -X -s <pkgname>

also check which version of FreeBSD you have installed.

freebsd-version -u

BamBamm

Patron
Missing name for redirect.

Do I need to upgrade the ZFS pool?

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Not from your jail. If it needs to be done that should be done from your main freenas system.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
which command gives you "Missing name for redirect."

Also are you logging into the new UI or the old UI on 11.2. If you're using a jail from 11.1 then you should login to the old interface and issue commands from the shell there or install a new jail/IOCage into 11.2 and recreate your links etc and rescan your library.

Read: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/jails.html

Last edited:

BamBamm

Patron
pkg_version -v -X -s <pkgname>