Can't set up email; SMTP says auth error and Google Oauth doesn't work at all

stk

Dabbler
I upgraded to the very latest code to do my install. When setting up SMTP email with Google, I get all the way to test where google gives Error: [EPERM] Authentication error (535): b'5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. For more information, go to\n5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials fz10-20020a17090b024a00b0029b34047b9csm1528842pjb.21 - gsmtp'. Well, I use the same credentials from my QNAP box and it works fine. So I tried the Gmail Oauth method and that completes fine with Google storing the link. But on the Truenas side, NOTHING happens (it's supposed to change the button to ask if I want to login to Google again).

I went into sqlite3 and started doing queries and nothing is amiss.

Should I delete the row (which is the only row in the table)?

sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db sqlite> SELECT * FROM system_email; 1|skirsch31@gmail.com|smtp.gmail.com|587|tls|1|skirsch31@gmail.com|7Vx+4Lqi/lOQ8de6CqcdEgP2WT/DuLj+yKBag==|Steve Kirsch|UUkdxKvwRdIQ2noQCVrne1JwzSx4zp6YeJy2ETg==

Note: I truncated the encoded passwords

See also this thread which suggests a database corruption in the upgrade process, i.e., not my fault and would just affect new installers like me.

Last edited:

stk

Dabbler
Using a generated Google app login did work.

The Oauth with Google never worked for me. Reported as a bug.