Can't isolate GPU, can't pass through to VM

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
Making a new post about this.

I was running fine previously with an Nvidia RTX 3050 passed through to a VM and previously isolated. I changed the motherboard (same type, just different model, from Asrock ROMED8-2T to SM H11DSi-NT). this changed the PCIe device numbers. and now it wont let me isolate this GPU. I get a warning that if I isolate it, the system will not have any GPU for it's functions. but this motherboard already has an onboard GPU via AST2500, and it's present in the list. and that's what I'm actually using for video output on the system, not that it should matter. the BIOS is set to VGA priority for onboard video.

I see there are some older threads about this issue (on angelfish) and all recent comments point to this being resolved, but it seems not.

let me know what else I could provide, is there a more recent workaround? at the moment I cannot pass the GPU to the VM at all, and it's my Plex VM.

spykezap

Cadet
I am having the same issue, although i have 2 graphic cards installed in the system on 22.12.0.
After (not every time) rebooting the host, it will come back up again and i notice the GPU hardware address has changed. It will not let me reserve any of the 2 GPUs in Isolated GPU Devices.

I managed to get it working again once by turning off the host, removing one GPU, restarting the host, mess around with Isolated GPU Devices, turn off again, re-add the 2nd GPU and rebooting. This time however i can't seem to get it working again so would be interested if anyone has a solution.

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
the only way I worked around this issue was to manually pass through the PCI IDs (both of them for the nvidia GPU) to the VM, which kind of forcefully yanks it away from TrueNAS OS. it passes through to the VM fine, and TrueNAS can no longer access it, but nothing is declared as "isolated" this way.

kmendez

Cadet
I am having the same issue, previously used a Radeon 6400 and everything was working fine with iGPU dedicated to truenas scale. Replaced the card with a gtx1650 and now get "At least 1 GPU is required by the host for it’s functions." when I try to isolate it. I was not able to manually pass through the PCI IDs (the VM does not start). Also updated to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1 and the issue remains.

kmendez

Cadet
Some more possible insight into the issue:

I removed the new card and put the old card back in. Started TrueNAS Scale and observed the old card was still showing up as isolated (Thought I removed it previously),
Removed the card as isolated. Shutdown truenas, installed the new card, powered up. I was then able to isolate the card. There must have been some stale data causing the issue because I did not un-isolate the card before removing it (although I thought I did that originally).

I performed the same actions when creating my VM, PCI passthrough. After installing the video drivers on the vm for the 1080, now I'm unable to start the VM again. And due to being forcefully yanked, but not isolated, I'm unable to delete the PCI passthrough via devices and it now shows up under the basic edit settings for GPU (also unable to delete from there). Saw one posting where you might be able to dive into the BIOS and decouple the graphics card from there and then it'll let you isolate it within TrueNas.

will report back later - in the middle of ripping DVDs to the NAS so when I need a break from that check it out.