Can't install update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
I'm currently running FreeNAS-9.10-RELEASE (2def9c8). There are pending updates in the updates tab. When I click on apply pending updates I get an error about being unable to create a snapshot. The error didn't stay on the screen long enough to copy it.

My install is a new install of 9.10 on a brand new flash drive.

Any ideas on what to do? I'm tempted to just do an update using the latest iso.

S

sef

So, this is largely due to me being clever and attempting to save disk space and reduce downloads.

The build process for FreeNAS creates a series of packages that are used for the install. You can see them in /data/manifest, if you want. When the build is nearly complete, it takes those packages, and puts the ISO together. Then it uploads them to the update server, which processes them to make the update, complete with the delta packages.

But one of the things the update processing does is compare the contents of each package to the previous version(s) of each package. It does this so it can generate the delta packages... but it also, if it decides there are no differences, will replace the newer version with the older version. That is, if package docs-123456 turns out to have no differences from package docs-123000, then it will say the new update uses docs-123000. For people who then do updates, they will then not have to update the docs package, saving them disk space and bandwidth and time.

But because of that, the ISO version says it uses version docs-123456. And when it then checks with the update server, it says, "Oh, look, the latest version is actually using docs-123000, I need to update to that." But... when it does the update, it creates a boot environment with the name of the version. But it can't create that version, because it already exists (since the version for the ISO and update releases are the same).

This is only going to impact people who do ISO installs.

At least, I believe that's what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.