Can't install TrueNAS (Scale OR Core)

NugentS

MVP
I hope you have a decent internet connection - or you live in a large hotel like house.

WoisWoi

Dabbler
The NAS will be wired with a 10G Ethernet cable (on a 10G switch) to the media center and my router, the NAS will be there to store and eventually host a secondary small media center, and I have an optical fiber with 1G uplink and about 6/7 Gbps in download.

Users are outside of my network obviously and are accessing the media center through internet. Does it respond to your question?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Users are outside of my network obviously and are accessing the media center through internet. Does it respond to your question?
Yes. How fast is that internet connection of yours? You probably won't have to worry about NAS performance ever.

Etorix

Wizard
It is a problem because of the capacity of my motherboard and also because of the price, if I want to buy 4x 64 gigabyte of RAM (DDR5 ECC) it would cost me more than a thousand euros, and i'm not even sure it will work, if it does, I'll have only 192 GB instead of 256 GB.
For the RAM amount you're looking at, go for (second-hand) DDR4 RDIMM. You do not need a last generation CPU for a NAS.

WoisWoi

Dabbler
For the RAM amount you're looking at, go for (second-hand) DDR4 RDIMM. You do not need a last generation CPU for a NAS.
It will be usefull for transcoding if I host a PMS on the NAS...

Edit : Also, L2ARC (with an NVMe) is recommended from what I've understood ?

Last edited:

WoisWoi

Dabbler
Do I really need so much RAM ? If it's only for the cache, I'm really not sure that it will be of any use to me.

NugentS

MVP
Well you are limited by your 1Gb uplink.
Stick with 128MB

WoisWoi

Dabbler
1705437628392.png

The brand new NAS is already at 58 % ahah :)

I retrieved some of my data (stored on Dropbox), but some sacrifice had to be made :
1705437786466.png

Whattteva

Wizard
Memory controller is on the CPU so it could be the issue. Highly unlikely but still a possibility.
I actually just sent in an RMA for a CPU last week. Was running fine for almost 3 years (just barely under warranty period) and then it decides not to keep doing kernel panic no matter if I tried to boot FreeBSD/Linux/Windows on it.