Can't hot swap without restart??

Status
Not open for further replies.

swat565

Dabbler
Without to much hassle I got my freenas box running smooth, and wanted to test ZFS raid array.
So I unplugged the drive while streaming video on my computer. No hiccups, drive gets disconnected and still keeps going.

I then proceed to re-attach the drive (simulating putting a new disk in)

seconds after I get:

"cam_periph_alloc: attmpt to re-allocate valid device ada0 rejected
adaasync: unable to attach to new device due to status 0x6"

Doing a scrub, then "zpool status":

"Volume1: Degraded
Raidz1: Degraded
Ada0p2: Unavail Cannon open
ada1p2: Online
ada2p2: Online"

"camcontrol reset all":

"Reset of bus 0 was successful..
Reset of bus 6 returned error 0x3a"

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm set up for AHCI in bios. I was under the impression you could hot swap with ZFS under Freenas 8?

Specs are as followed:
Running 8.0.3
AMD E-350
8gb of ram
x3 160gb drives

Brand

Does your motherboard support hot swap? Just because it is capable of ACHI does not mean that it supports hot swap.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hot Swap is not supported in FreeBSD until version 9.0, so that means that it is also not supported in FreeNAS. Everyone keeps ragging on FreeNAS because this isn't supported, but it's really a FreeBSD issue. There has been a handful of tickets and posts on the topic for quite a while now.

I think this is one of the biggest arguments for building FreeNAS on version 9, unless that functionality gets backported when FreeBSD 8.3 is available later this summer.

Edit: The documentation for replacing a disk was recently updated to mention the proper way to replace a disk without hotswap.

sunflashx

Dabbler
Hot Swap is not supported in FreeBSD until version 9.0, so that means that it is also not supported in FreeNAS. Everyone keeps ragging on FreeNAS because this isn't supported, but it's really a FreeBSD issue. There has been a handful of tickets and posts on the topic for quite a while now.

I think this is one of the biggest arguments for building FreeNAS on version 9, unless that functionality gets backported when FreeBSD 8.3 is available later this summer.

Where does FreeBSD 9.0 fall into the FreeNAS 8 roadmap?

Status
Not open for further replies.