Can't get into web GUI after update

Hakkyokuken

Cadet
After I applied the latest update, I was unable to access the files on my NAS through Windows explorer; it gave an authentication error. I tried to access the web client and it went into an infinite loading loop after entering username and password - never left the first screen.

I went into the console and reset the root password, but it still won't let me in for some reason. Keeps doing the infinite loop. I also deleted my network drive location in explorer and tried to add it again, but it gives an authentication error no matter what.

My plex server seems to be up and running fine, but otherwise I can't access my files/folders, and I can't access the web client. I can also ping the NAS just fine through the command prompt in Windows. I have console access but changing the root password using option 7 doesn't seem to be working.

Please help!

cdiddy

Dabbler
At first glance, you seem to have an SMB problem, but it's odd that you cant access the freenas/truenas web ui. I think you are going to want to search the forums more and accomplish 2 things:
1) learn why you can't access the web UI
2) learn to post more relevant information. Your post is VERY hard to understand.

when you say you have console access, i assume you mean a keyboard and monitor connected directly to the server box?
have you tried to use an SSH client like PuTTY to access your system?
Is Plex a plugin/jail running on your freenas/truenas system?

what is meant by "infinite loop"? Do you mean that once you've entered your server's ip address in the browser address bar, you DO get to the TrueNAS login screen, where it asks you to enter your credentials? Then once you've entered your truenas username and password (the NEW password you changed from the console?) the web UI remains... blank? what is in the address bar when this is happening? if you've entered your password and its been accepted, try manually pasting or typing into the address bar "http://your.ip.addy/ui/dashboard"

Hakkyokuken

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the confusion with the post, I'll try to be more detailed.

I do have a keyboard and monitor connected to the server box where I can access the console menu.

I have a plex jail on the system and it is all working fine, I can see my nas listed on the plex web client.

I have not tried using ssh. I've always used the web client.

As for the infinite loop:

Using chrome, I enter the ip address of the nas listed on the console. I get to the login screen. When I enter root as username followed by my password, the blue bar above the fields continues to move as if it's working, but it keeps doing that endlessly. I tried with edge browser and got the same result.

I've tried resetting the root password using option 7 on the console menu, but I get the same behavior from the web client no matter what.

cdiddy

Dabbler
Still not a lot to go on for me, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in. What version exactly did you upgrade from? You said latest, is that TrueNAS Core 12.0-U3?

In your browser, leave the UI, go to google or a blank page, then clear your browser's cache and cookies completely, and try again.

Download PuTTY, and try to connect using SSH. If your Windows share stopped working, your SMB service may be turned off. Hopefully your SSH service is not turned off too. Reply with your results, and we'll see about a next step.

Hakkyokuken

Cadet
I upgraded from 12.0-U2 to -U3.

Tried clearing all browsing data and got the same result. Unfortunately my SSH looks to be turned off as I get a 'connection refused' message in the command prompt.

Hakkyokuken

Cadet
I get this traceback error when I try to change the root password through the console.

Attachments

• 20210427_043811.jpg
    20210427_043811.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 309
  • 20210427_043755.jpg
    20210427_043755.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 309

Hakkyokuken

Cadet
I was able to get back into everything by going into the shell via console and going back to 12.0-U2.1 with beadm.