can't get airvpn to work

Mryusef1

Dabbler
I am new to FreeNAS but I have been using linux for a while. I am unable to find any clear information on setting on AirVPN withing a jail. I followed several guides but none of them work. I get an error

Fri Mar 29 00:46:14 2019 Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically
Fri Mar 29 00:46:14 2019 Exiting due to fatal error

when I run openvpn airvpn.ovpn.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Start by detailing what FreeNAS hardware and software you are using.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, the contents of your AirVPN file. Blank out any user/password. You've basically said "My Toyota won't start when I put the key in." There's a vague hint of a little detail, but nothing useful. What kind of Toyota? What happens? Does it turn over? Do the lights come on? Does the key even turn?

Those of us that manage both the client and server side of OpenVPN in production environments might be able to help you but I've literally NO idea what these shady so-called "VPN provider" companies try to pass off for a configuration. I can tell you that based on the configurations I've created for OpenVPN over many years that a Windows config is not likely to work on FreeBSD or Linux without some adaptation.

Mryusef1

Dabbler
Sorry for the lack of information. This is my first post and I wasn't sure if it would be answered. Thanks for the quick replys. Funny thing though. I got a popup saying there was an upgrade available. I did the upgrade which crashed my system and I havent been able to get it up and running again. However I am running FreeNAS on a HP machine with 8GB of ram 2 WD Blue 4GB Harddrives and onboard Intel network card. I assumed that the TUN was the problem but once a jail is created it wont let me edit it and check the box next to tun because I can't save.

I'm trying to load 11.1 now and see if I have the same problem.

Thanks again for the help.

I am running FreeNAS on a HP machine with 8GB of ram 2 WD Blue 4GB Harddrives and onboard Intel network card.
HP model? Processor? What are you planning on using FreeNAS for? If you're planning on doing some heavy duty lifting with it, the hardware you've specified may not be suitable for anything other than getting familiar with FreeNAS. Have a look at the FreeNAS Hardware Guide for the minimum hardware specs.

Last edited:

Mryusef1

Dabbler
I'm using a HP Compaq 6200, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 cores) with 8 GB of ram. I ordered another 8GB of ram to upgrade to 16GB of ram. I want to get to know the system before I upgrade. I plan on running an emby or plex server, transmission through vpn and may need up to 4 streams at once. Do you think what I have will work or do you have any hardware suggestions for me. If I upgrade I would like to keep the budget under $500.00

Mryusef1

Dabbler
I finally got FreeNAS reinstalled. Turned out to be a bad SD card and a bios issue. So I am now running 11.2 U-3 and to my surprise the upgrade fixed my first problem. I was able to turn on tun in the jail configuration and manually start openvpn with no problem. Now I am trying to figure out how to get openvpn to start at boot. I start vpn by typing openvpn airvpn.ovpn. I have the files located in user/local/etc/rc.d/. The command service openvpn start gives me errors:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: 1: Syntax error: Error in command substitution

I moved the airvpn.ovpn to a different folder and ran opnevpn airvpn.ovpn and it still worked. I guest I need to have openvpn airvpn.ovpn run at startup.

Can someone please point me in the right directions.

Mryusef1

Dabbler
I changed the airvpn.ovpn to openvpn.conf and it worked. I now have openvpn at boot and transmission working in the same jail.

Thanks for the help.

Muddro

Explorer
I changed the airvpn.ovpn to openvpn.conf and it worked. I now have openvpn at boot and transmission working in the same jail.

Thanks for the help.
Did you use a guide to get it to work? Trying to use airvpn but i cannot get it to work.