Can't get a VM (and some apps) to launch in Scale

skyman

Dabbler
I did a clean install of SCALE Beta and imported my zvol from my old TrueNAS CORE installation.
I had hoped to launch the MineOS Docker container to get my kids minecraft server back up (that failed on SCALE, but that's not the point of this post).
I tried to launch a built in apps to make sure that there wasn't something wonky with my install and the Machinaris app gets stuck deploying...
At this point I'm getting worried, but clearly I can talk to the server and the SMB service works like a champ.
From TrueCharts, Mealie installed and works so ok, something is ok there and while the mineos docker image (hexparrot/mineos:latest) will launch, the nodeport forwarding of the port 8443 to something > 9000 isn't answering... so I tried another docker image and grafana/grafana:latest loads, forwards and works like a champ...

OK... so I know - I'll try a VM and install minecraft in an ubuntu server instance or something...

I go through the basic steps from the docs, and my VM won't launch. I try a setup that works on CORE and that VM won't run...

When I go to start the VM, I get this error:

[EFAULT] internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2021-09-19T00:07:18.858661Z qemu-system-x86_64: -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/zvol2/ubuntu-18.04.6-live-server-amd64.iso","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}: Could not open '/mnt/zvol2/ubuntu-18.04.6-live-server-amd64.iso': Permission denied

The server file is uploaded to the SCALE system through the GUI so SCALE is setting permissions.

In trying to find an answer in case file permissions are exactly the issue, I've tried sending the file to the base level of the vol. I've created a new zvol specific for this . I've sent the .iso to a folder that +rw across the board. I'm stymied...

Any clues? I'm sure there's something that people just know instinctively that I don't and that's not clear in the docs for noobs...

thx, kenn

Dan Rimer

Dabbler
Hi there

I've just had the same problem. No doubt you've fixed it by now... Just in case you haven't or there's someone else with the same problem, simply add the user libvirt-qemu to the filesystem ACL (and in my case, I needed to apply permissions recursively).

Hope it helps someone.

cheers

dan

roysen

Dabbler
Hi there

I've just had the same problem. No doubt you've fixed it by now... Just in case you haven't or there's someone else with the same problem, simply add the user libvirt-qemu to the filesystem ACL (and in my case, I needed to apply permissions recursively).

Hope it helps someone.

cheers

dan
Did you do it by CLI, I can't find a way to do it in GUI.