Can't figure how to replace a single SSD boot drive to a pair of new SSD drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivey

Contributor
I guess the title says it all. I have searched the forums and read through the FreeNAS 11.1-U6 Users Guide and for the life of me I can't figure this out.
The equipment listed below are a new system except for the drives. So far I have everything working but I also have 2 new HB SSD hard drives I want to use to replace the existing boot drive. I would assume that I will have to backup the existing boot drive and then install the two new drives and copy the data from the original to the two new drives but I haven't been able to find anything in the users guide or the forum. Thanks for all help.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm assuming that your current 240GB drive is bigger than the two new ones, so unfortunately you can't just zpool attach the new devices one-by-one and then remove the old drive.

Backing up your configuration, installing a fresh copy of FreeNAS (to both drives at once) and then restoring the config is indeed the supported way forward. If you want to be extra safe, physically disconnect your data drives so that you don't accidentally overwrite any of them.

rivey

Contributor
I'm assuming that your current 240GB drive is bigger than the two new ones, so unfortunately you can't just zpool attach the new devices one-by-one and then remove the old drive.

Backing up your configuration, installing a fresh copy of FreeNAS (to both drives at once) and then restoring the config is indeed the supported way forward. If you want to be extra safe, physically disconnect your data drives so that you don't accidentally overwrite any of them.

Thanks for the timely reply. I will do as you suggest and disconnect my data drives and then proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.