Can't extract zipped files

Status
Not open for further replies.

berboo

Dabbler
Hi,

When I try to extract files, it won't work

A window pops up telling me that I'm not allowed to do that.

I can copy and remove files without any issue...

A help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot

edit : it displays error 13 : permission denied

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're going to have to add about 15x to 20x more information to this before we even know what you're talking about, and hence, can help you.

berboo

Dabbler
Hi DrKK,

Thanks for your answer.

Ok When I read it a second time I see what your mean.

But to help me, please give me some clues about what you need.

Thanks a lot.

INCSlayer

Contributor
Everything you have in no way explained anything beyond it having something todo with zipped files

berboo

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I understand what you're saying.

But please help me hep you help me :cool: What kind of information do you need?

I mean, in my point of you, it's not that complicated (for experts I mean) :

- I have a Freenas server where I created smb file sharing.
- I created one tank and I affected a user to it (which is me)
- The user has the right to read and write (which works fine)
- In the folders that I have created in that tank, there are some zip files
- The problem : I cannot extract them, it causes 3 permission denied error (13) (which is strange since copying/removing files don't cause any permission denied problem)

So, I hope this is a start.

If you need more, tell me please what exactly you need.

Thanks a lot

DaveY

Contributor
Like everyone here said, you need to provide more info. No one here knows what you're doing and can't see your computer screen. For one, tell us what type of machine you're using to connect to your FreeNAS share. Doing a search on your error message says it's probably Ubuntu or some kind of Linux distro. Or are you on a Windows machine?

If you're on a Linux client, then most likely your zip file is trying to unzip into an absolute path on your box that needs elevated privileges (e.g. /var/lib, /usr/lib) or something like that. One way to check, hop on the freenas server directly. Find the zip file. run unzip -t <zipfile name>. Make sure you use the -t option or you're goin to pollute your machine. If you see an absolute path (e.g. testing: /usr/lib/somelibraryfile.so) then there's your issue. the key is the forward slash at the very beginning of the path name.

Another possibility is that the zip file is trying to extract into an existing folder with the same name on your home directory that has limited privileges.

berboo

Dabbler
Like everyone here said, you need to provide more info. No one here knows what you're doing and can't see your computer screen. For one, tell us what type of machine you're using to connect to your FreeNAS share. Doing a search on your error message says it's probably Ubuntu or some kind of Linux distro. Or are you on a Windows machine?

If you're on a Linux client, then most likely your zip file is trying to unzip into an absolute path on your box that needs elevated privileges (e.g. /var/lib, /usr/lib) or something like that. One way to check, hop on the freenas server directly. Find the zip file. run unzip -t <zipfile name>. Make sure you use the -t option or you're goin to pollute your machine. If you see an absolute path (e.g. testing: /usr/lib/somelibraryfile.so) then there's your issue. the key is the forward slash at the very beginning of the path name.

Another possibility is that the zip file is trying to extract into an existing folder with the same name on your home directory that has limited privileges.

Thanks DaveY for your answer, it helped :

I'm on mac, when I used iZip unarchiver and clicked on "Extract here" it worked (It's very slow but it worked, the files are 2 to 4 gigs big)
The default app created the issue (see image) it seems that there is no way to choose where the files are being extracted.The files should be extracted in the same folder by default right?

Thanks anyway, if found a workaround.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2018-05-15 à 13.34.00.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-05-15 à 13.34.00.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 314

DaveY

Contributor
Glad you figured it out! Just personal experience, but I've always had poor performance with SMB on macOS. Very slow transfer speeds like you mentioned. If you don't have any windows machine at home, might be worth trying AFP or NFS and see if you get better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.