SOLVED Can't effectively SSH in as root

Status
Not open for further replies.

verysneaky

Dabbler
Hi all,

Getting some strange behaviour that I've never seen before. Up until now, I've had no issues SSHing in to my server, however today that changed. Whenever I try to SSH in as root - ssh root@helios, I'm prompted for my public key password, and subsequently logged in. Logging in, I'm met with a blank text editor window (nano), with the title "GNU nano 2.8.7 New Buffer". I try to quit the text editor so I can get to the command prompt (Ctrl + X), and the connection is subsequently closed and I'm back at my local terminal. I don't get this issue when I log in with my personal user account, i.e. user1@helios. Only the root account. The console has no messages of any significance, and neither does the freenas log. Does anybody have any idea what might be happening here? What other things can I do to help troubleshoot this issue?

Hardware:
- SM X9SRi-F
- Xeon E5-2660 V2
- 32GB Samsung RDIMM (2x16)
- 6x WD Red 4TB
- 1x Samsung EVO 860 500GB

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

verysneaky

Dabbler
Jumped the gun a bit here. In the process of trying to reconfigure my default editor from vi to nano, I misread the documentation for chsh and ran chsh -s /bin/nano. re-running this command to set the shell back to csh resolved the issue, i.e. chsh -s /bin/csh

Status
Not open for further replies.