Can't delete a certificate - Error: [EBUSY] This object is being used by other objects

Diox

Cadet
Hello everyone !
I'm a new user to truenas scale. The last few days i was experimenting some stuff with openVPN.
I want to delete the OpenVPN server certificate i created, but when i'm trying to i got an error "[EBUSY] This object is being used by other objects".
The openVPN service is disabled and i have no clue what could cause this error. I didn't apply the certificate anywhere else

I'm sorry if i missed something important, i just want to understand how i can fix that.

Thanks !

Wong KY

Dabbler
Same here. No Service using the Expired Cert.
The New Let's Encrypted Cert been selected properly but still not allowing me to remove.

The problem lasted for a few versions. Since 12.0.U7... still now 12.0.U8.1

tinsukE

Cadet
Hey all, I was affected by the same issue after testing the OpenVPN Server service and I figured a way to solve it. Skip to bottom if you want just the solution.

I searched TrueNAS issues to see if I could find this problem reported and follow the ticket. I found this:

It states our problem and says it is fixed. I thought the bugfix could be coming in a future release, but the ticket says it was fixed since 12.0-U1 and SCALE-20.10-ALPHA.

I scratched my head and went to check the linked 12.0 code changes:

I'm not familiar with TrueNAS' codebase, but the changes seemed to happen on the back-end of things; which suggests that the issue we're facing (not being able to clear/unset certificates in OpenVPN services) is a front-end only one.

So I thought about trying to make the changes via TrueNAS' API, documented in https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/api/.

Solution

In short, create an API Key (Web GUI -> Settings -> API Keys), copy its value and choose your way to access the API. I went with REST via Postman.

A simple GET request to http://YOUR_SERVER_IP/api/v2.0/openvpn/server will return your current configuration. Save the output.

Then perform a PUT request to http://YOUR_SERVER_IP/api/v2.0/openvpn/server with the body being the previous command's output, but without the field id, and modifying the fields server_certificate and root_ca to null.

Check the Service configuration in the Web GUI, the certificates are unset and now you can delete them!

(don't forget to delete the API Key if you don't plan to keep using them)

awasb

Patron
Will this work with "normal" CAs/certificates as well?

tinsukE

Cadet
Will this work with "normal" CAs/certificates as well?
I don't understand you mean by "normal", but the aforementioned method works around an issue with the OpenVPN Server/Client Services configuration via Web GUI, that doesn't allow you to unset previously configured CAs/Certificates, and if you try to delete those CAs/Certificates while they're "in use", you'd get the error the OP posted.

I believe it'll work for any certificate that is "blocked" from deleting because it is used in OpenVPN Server/Client Services configuration.

awasb

Patron
OK. My bad. Didn't describe it well.

I deleted all default certificates on installation and generated new ones. (Not just OpenVPN but ssl/CAs as well.) While I could delete retired OpenVPN certs, my old ssl certs can't be deleted. The error message is the above mentioned. That's why I thought ... but I'll just try. I guess it's in the API docs.

Edit: Read this

searched for the cert-name string within freenas db file with SQLiteBrowser and found the certificate selected for the disabled (!) WebDAV-config. Problem solved.

Reminded me a bit of those NT4.0 regedit days ...

Last edited: