cant create volume on vmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamimh

Cadet
Hi

Im trying to build a virtual MS cluster.

I installed freenas 8.0.4 on vmware workstation 8.
I tried adding a 0.5GB scsi HDD unformatted / formatted with NTFS.
when I try to import the volume, I get an error
when i try to create the volume, i cant see it in the volumes list.

please assist.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi tamimh,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do here....If you are making a MS cluster under Vmware how does FreeNAS fit in? Are you going to run all 3 (2 cluster nodes & FreeNAS) under Vmware and share the disk out to the cluster nodes through FreeNAS? I'm assuming that this is a fresh virtual disk you made with Vmware?

Anyway, if that's what you are trying to do, try making your volume bigger. FreeNAS automatically tries to create a 2GB partition for swap on it's data drives...maybe that's what's screwing you up?

-Will

tamimh

Cadet
Hi Will

you are right,
I am working with 2 cluster nodes 2008R2 & FreeNAS under Vmware and i want to share the disk out to the cluster nodes through FreeNAS.

I did try adding a 2GB disk.
I go to storage>volumes>import volume> enter name, disk 2.1GB, filesystem NTFS> press import volume.
then I get: 'An error occurred while labeling the disk.'

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi tamimh,

I think 2GB is still to small...FN is going to use 2GB all on it's own for swap (keep in mind most folks don't use such a small drive for data). That still leaves the question about whether using FreeNAS is the best way to get the disk to the cluster...I'm not sure, but couldn't you just make a .vmdk file and present it to both node directly? If so that sure seems simpler!

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.