SOLVED Can't create a VM

MediJaster

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I needed to create a simple VM because of a misbehaving docker container (minecraft-java from truecharts, gonna write a post about that later)
I can't seem to successfully create my virtual disk, it keeps saying that it is "not recommended" to use more than 80% of available space

Error while creating the DISK device. [EINVAL] pool_dataset_create.volsize: It is not recommended to use more than 80% of your available space for VOLUME

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 176, in call_method result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 920, in create rv = await self.middleware._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1133, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1265, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_devices.py", line 168, in do_create data = await self.update_device(data) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_devices.py", line 132, in update_device new_zvol = (await self.middleware.call('pool.dataset.create', ds_options))['id'] File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1344, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 920, in create rv = await self.middleware._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1133, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1265, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 3166, in do_create verrors.check() File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 62, in check raise self middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] pool_dataset_create.volsize: It is not recommended to use more than 80% of your available space for VOLUME

Here is the configuration of the VM I was trying to create

VM Summary
  • Guest Operating System: Linux
  • Number of CPUs: 1
  • Number of Cores: 4
  • Number of Threads: 8
  • Memory: 8 GiB
  • Disk Size: 10 GiB
  • Name: ubuntuvm
  • CPU Mode: HOST-PASSTHROUGH

Thanks in advance to everyone that took the time to read this,
Looking forward to any suggestions!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So, how is you pool available space mapped out?
Is the pool or a related dataset near full?

MediJaster

Dabbler
So, how is you pool available space mapped out?
Is the pool or a related dataset near full?
Ok so, now's the part where I feel stupid.
When writing this, I thought about including information about my pool, but I then proceeded to immediately forget about it.

What happened was, on my first attempt, i created a 60GiB virtual disk, but then it couldn't read the installation iso because my permissions are a mess. The VM creation process failed but the disk wasn't automatically deleted (I assume because of design, not a bug). So I tried again by uploading the iso from the browser unaware I had less space and I got the error for the first time, after that I never checked to see if it was correct.

So it was indeed more than 80% of the available space, I was just too sure i still had all of it (I was installing this on a secondary ssd that I had just hooked up)

So I guess the conclusion is, always check your available space, kids.