WOL VM on TrueNAS-Scale

OldTeaGuyy

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a solution to start my VMs by WOL on TrueNAS SCALE.

My-Use-Case:
I have a vm for very old pc games i use very irregular. As i Usually dont sit in front of a pc, i would like to use the build in steam-link functionality to wol my VM.

My-Suggestions:
As there is no direct option within the GUI (up to my knowledge), my suppostion is that I need to use a dedicated container that will receive the magic package and then to use any kind of CLI within to start the vm? Unfortunatley i could not find more informations about any cli in scale to controle vms.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why on Earth do you need WoL if you have the VM host up? That seems like the worst possible way of solving that problem...

OldTeaGuyy

Cadet
@Ericloewe
A short google search did not solve to my what you exactly mean with "vm host up". Do you have more details for me? I do know that there was already a discussion for other hypervisor environments concerning if vms should be "turned off" at all.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why on Earth do you need WoL if you have the VM host up? That seems like the worst possible way of solving that problem...

Regardless, it would not be terribly difficult to have a listener for the magic WOL packet that would then reach out via the TrueNAS API to start the appropriate VM. Weird, maybe. Doable, I don't see why not.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A short google search did not solve to my what you exactly mean with "vm host up". Do you have more details for me?
By your description, the VM host is always running and you just want to shut down the VMs. Wake on LAN is a truly byzantine thing, by virtue of having to deal with systems that are not running.

In the end, you always have to have something that does something like:
reach out via the TrueNAS API to start the appropriate VM
So, why introduce WoL into the equation? Just have whatever you're using fire up a suitable request to the TrueNAS API directly.
Doing it by hand? Write a script that calls the API!
Automating this somehow? Add the API call to your system!

OldTeaGuyy

Cadet
Oh i completly misunderstood your sentence about the vm host *facepalm*. I will stick then to my initial sugesstion creating a docker container to receive the wol and to use the API to start the vm.
(Why still WOL? -> I would still like to simply just have to turn on steam-Link and to directly start up the vm like my other pc´s)
Thanky you for your replies :).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Wake on LAN is a truly byzantine thing, by virtue of having to deal with systems that are not running.

Except in this case, the system would already be running. He's just looking for something to trigger up the VM startup. Admittedly an incredibly limited use case.