Can't connect to the internet

Berkyjay

Contributor
I had to change the IP address of my rig because it kept conflicting with another device.....and losing. But I think I made a mistake somewhere.

I'm still able to access the web gui and I able to access my Plex jail locally. But I can't access Plex outside of my network. I also can't update FreeNAS or my Plex jail as it complains that it can't make a connection.

Code:
HTTPConnectionPool(host='update-master.ixsystems.com', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /FreeNAS/trains.txt (Caused by NewConnectionError('urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x81cbbb828: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known',)): Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.

Another weird thing that I've noticed, the IP address that I assigned to my rig doesn't seem to be showing as an attached device in my router.

OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U3

(Build Date: Mar 27, 2019 18:24)

Berkyjay

Contributor
What’s an “attached device”?

It's the list of devices that are connected to your network router.

I found the issue though. I didn't have the nameserver 1 set. My original settings must have gotten lost when I changed the IP address.

melloa

Wizard
My original settings must have gotten lost when I changed the IP address.

I'm lazy, so I configure all my servers to DHCP and fix on the router via MAC. That will provide all it needs. Also will avoid IP conflicts ... Try.

Berkyjay

Contributor
I'm lazy, so I configure all my servers to DHCP and fix on the router via MAC. That will provide all it needs. Also will avoid IP conflicts ... Try.

Nice. Unfortunately I'm playing with basic networking knowledge so I get by on what I can google and understand.

melloa

Wizard
All routers, even the residential ones, have how to statically assign an IP in the DHCP server. What is your router make/model?

melloa

Wizard
Go to Netgear and download the manual for more info, but it says:

Code:
Reserve a LAN IP Address
You can assign a reserved IP address to a computer or server that requires permanent IP settings.
To reserve an IP address:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the modem router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are
case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.
The LAN Setup page displays.
5. In the Address Reservation section, click the Add button.
The Address Reservation page displays.
6. Either select a device from the Address Reservation Table by selecting the corresponding radio button
or specify the reserved IP address information:
• In the IP Address field, enter the IP address to assign to the computer or device.
Choose an IP address from the modem router’s LAN subnet, such as 192.168.0.x.
• In the MAC Address field, enter the MAC address of the computer or device.
• In the Device Name field, enter the name of the computer or device.