Can't connect to my Freenas installation

qdox

Cadet
When I installed the FreeNas, the initial address was http:\\0.0.0.0 and the https was the same

That meant that the cable or lan wasn't installed, but I can't physically remove the ethernet connection from my computer as it's integrated into the motherboard

Can someone help me to get this working?

I suggest you provide more information. What model motherboard? What NIC model is being used (Intel? Realtek?)?

qdox

Cadet
The motherboard is a Gigabyte B450 I, and the NIC is an Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
The IO controller is iTE® I/O Controller Chip

Hope that is enough

Hmmm... the NIC should be okay (e.g., supported by FreeBSD).

• Do you have a link light between the FreeNAS box and the switch port?
  • If you plug another device into the switch port does it get an IP address (e.g., is your DHCP server providing an IP address)?
  • Did you try setting the IP address manually?

--- Edit - some additional thoughts
  • That motherboard has WiFi - That likely isn't supported out-of-the-box, so to speak. Check to make sure you are using the physical NIC

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
According to the B450 I manual, the Ethernet chipset is an Intel i211, which should be supported by the igb driver, according to the man page. Do you have link on the Ethernet port?

From the console menu, use 9 to enter the shell. Please see if the igb driver loaded by running ifconfig -a.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Make sure the cable is securely plugged into the NIC, and into wherever the other end is going (the switch, presumably). Make sure link lights are on on both ends. If not, try another cable.

qdox

Cadet
Hmmm... the NIC should be okay (e.g., supported by FreeBSD).

• Do you have a link light between the FreeNAS box and the switch port?
  • If you plug another device into the switch port does it get an IP address (e.g., is your DHCP server providing an IP address)?
  • Did you try setting the IP address manually?

--- Edit - some additional thoughts
  • That motherboard has WiFi - That likely isn't supported out-of-the-box, so to speak. Check to make sure you are using the physical NIC
I don't know if it gets an IP address, as for a light, not as far as I know

qdox

Cadet
Make sure the cable is securely plugged into the NIC, and into wherever the other end is going (the switch, presumably). Make sure link lights are on on both ends. If not, try another cable.
There is only the link light at the switch end, not at the NIC end

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is only the link light at the switch end, not at the NIC end
There are a number of possible reasons for this, but if the cable is plugged in securely, the easiest to try is another cable. It's also possible the onboard NIC is defective.

qdox

Cadet
There are a number of possible reasons for this, but if the cable is plugged in securely, the easiest to try is another cable. It's also possible the onboard NIC is defective.

Not true in either cases, the cable is plugged in properly, and it isn’t defective
When running ubuntu or windows, it works and link light shows up. If it was defective, it wouldn’t show up on the switch

Yorick

Wizard
Try manually setting an IP instead of relying on DHCP. From the console menu, choose Networking, No to deleting the NIC, No to resetting the NIC, then you should be prompted for IP/netmask and gateway.

qdox

Cadet
OK, I see where I'm going wrong. It needs a direct internet connection..

qdox

Cadet
Is it because my BIOS says that the link status of my NIC is disconnected?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's simple enough to try a different cable. Your BIOS isn't seeing link, and neither is FreeNAS.

qdox

Cadet
Done it. The ethernet connection is supposed to be manual ip, not auto