SOLVED Can't boot 9.3 after installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sef

Too many threads for me to track down right now.

I've got http://download.freenas.org/test/FreeNAS-sef.iso to test. It creates an MBR. I am curious of people who have it hang during POST, or otherwise fail to show up in the BIOS as a bootable device, have better success with this. (This is a different version than I put up before. It will go away at some random time when I remember about it after being done with testing.)

Caveats: this is a one-off, I'm not sure how well it will do upgrades from previous versions, and later ISO installs certainly won't work. New shiny! upgrades should work with it, but I'm not even guaranteeing that at this point. I just need data points.

Pasquale61

Explorer
Sef,

I was one of the persons having the problem with it not showing up in BIOS after each update on the 9.3-Beta train. Something changed several updates before it went to Release, because I have not had any problems since. (And it was consistently happening before that and was very easy to reproduce.) But now that it seems like it is fixed for me, I'm not sure how much I can help. Let me know if there is anything I can look at on my system to help you troubleshoot.

MB/CPU: ASRock C2750D4I
Disk: 5 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB H3IKNAS40003272SN (RAIDZ2)
Boot Drive: SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB
RAM: 32GB ECC (CT2KIT102472BD160B x 2)
PS: ST45SF-G

CrazyKiwi

Cadet
OK, I tried that iso a couple of ways with no success.

1. Burnt it to USB and while it boots, it panicked while looking for a cdrom drive

2. Burnt it to a cd and booted. I had a bunch of cd errors and then it panicked. I will test with another drive/cable combo Sunday evening (UK) when I get back from my kids.

Thanks for your help.

[Edit] OK, did a final check with a different cd-drive combo and am getting the same error as I do with USB.
Trying to mount root from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeNAS_INSTALL, MBR []
.. This happens after the cd boots and discovers hardware - right after the CPU cores are discovered.
I hope that helps.

R.

Last edited:

jadz

Dabbler
Sef - did you reach some conclusion about this? I attempted to upgrade my 9.2.1.7-RELASE install to 9.3-RELEASE. I tried the GUI upgrade (which failed) then I tried a full install using iLo to mount the .iso and install (which again failed) and then had trouble reverting to the 9.2.1.7. It took me a while to figure out, but it seems like when reverting to pre-9.3 you have to really wipe your USB drive as the 9.2.x install will appear to work fine, then give a GPT error.

I was hoping to move to 9.3 on my HP DL320s with P16 LSI SAS 9211-8i. After the LSI enumerates the drives the system locks up.

Is this a legacy issue, a USB stick issue or something else? The DL320s is an older platform, but pretty common Xeon architecture (I would think).

S

sef

Did you try the FreeNAS-sef.iso mentioned above?

I will point out I've gotten reports of panics from it. Given that it's the same kernel in use in the mainline builds (and worked on my VM and my crappy machine), I think that there's other incompatibilities with these machines. But, note, we still can't do it.

CrazyKiwi

Cadet
Yes, getting panics with the Sef iso, right after it has issues with the CDROM - even when I install from USB (weird). My system is an older SuperMicro X7DWA-N running 2x Xeon E5420 with DDR2 ECC RAM. It has been running rock solid with FreeNAS 9.2 and previously with ESXi and Windows Server.

S

sef

That is just _wack_. It's not finding init, which is just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.