9.3 Installation Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schtefe

Cadet
Hi all,

New to the forums and have been battling away trying to learn as much as I can to get FreeNAS up and running on my HP N54L. I had FreeNAS 9.2 but after not being able to resolve a weird issue with the Plex Media Server Plug-In service refusing to turn on, I saw 9.3 out and thought I would start fresh.

I used Win32 Disk Imager to put write a bootable ISO of 9.3, that is on a 4Gb Imation USB. I then have an 8Gb Patriot stick connected to the internal USB port. I got through the boot sequence, set the root password and then it proceeded in its installation. The final prompt provided was "base-os-9.3-BETA....." but after that nothing else happens. I've given no other options to finalise the installation as I saw in the install video by the FreeNAS team. If I reboot the OS won't boot at all, as I'm guessing the installation wasn't completed properly.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I do learn pretty quick and have experience with other systems but I'm a newbie with FreeBSD commands.

Cheers!

enemy85

Guru

Schtefe

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply! I can't complete the install as it stops after that line I quoted above. I'll have to see if I can find another USB but I can't imagine that is the issue given it is the required size and it was the same one I used for 9.2.

Bad Wolf

Cadet
They suggest 8GB for the install but basic package should install on 4GB. I have only just installed FreeNAS for the first time just now, and had the exact same issue. I tried it again this time just leaving it at the frozen screen and after about 20 minutes it continued all the way through to the end. When it got to the end there was no IP address as per the video which suggests the reason for the very long delay was because it couldn't find the NIC.

Schtefe

Cadet
They suggest 8GB for the install but basic package should install on 4GB. I have only just installed FreeNAS for the first time just now, and had the exact same issue. I tried it again this time just leaving it at the frozen screen and after about 20 minutes it continued all the way through to the end. When it got to the end there was no IP address as per the video which suggests the reason for the very long delay was because it couldn't find the NIC.

That was it, so simple but didn't even think of it. Wasn't connected to the network so it had a long delay while searching for the NIC to set a default IP. I didn't experience that in 9.2, or it may have been a very brief delay.

Thanks Bad Wolf :)

Bad Wolf

Cadet
No probs, it's just one of those things that occur when programmers don't code in a sensible search timeouts, or a proper error routines into the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.