SOLVED Can't add group in Windows permissions window

Status
Not open for further replies.

David47295

Dabbler
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to add a group that I made in the FreeNAS WebGUI to my list of permissions but when I try to search for the group, I can't find it. Here's a picture of the issue...

Untitled.png

I'm currently running FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35) and I'm working with a Windows CIFS share. Anybody have any ideas on why this would happen?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Post output of net groupmap list. Also, instead of searching for "subfolder" in the search box, click "advanced", then "Find Now" without populating the "starts with" field. This should pull up a full list of Users / Groups visible to your Windows client.

9.2.1.5 is very old, and I believe there were some bugs regarding group mapping.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm currently running FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
That's probably going to be part of your problem. Groups were all messed up back then. I highly recommend a more recent release.

David47295

Dabbler
I've tried running FreeNAS 9.10 but I don't think it's compatible with the hardware I'm using. Tried booting it off of my USB and the computer I'm using just freezes in the booting phase. My guess is that the hardware may be incompatible? I'm using my old EVGA motherboard from years back. I've tried FreeNas 9.10 on my main desktop which uses an MSI Z87-G45 and it boots fine. Is there a more recent release of FreeNAS you could suggest?

Also when I typed in the
Code:
net groupmap list
I got
Code:
Environment LOGNAME is not defined. Trying anonymous access.
I also used the advanced search and I could only find the users I made but none of the groups.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Let's see that smb4.conf file. Perhaps try the following "auxiliary parameters" on your share
  • valid users = +subfolder
  • force user = David
It's ugly, but so is running 9.2.1.5 :)

Last edited:

David47295

Dabbler
Uhh where I do I find that file? Sorry, I'm a newbie to FreeNAS so I still need to get my head around all of this. If 9.2.1.5 isn't exactly the best choice, should I run something like 9.2.1.9?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Uhh where I do I find that file? Sorry, I'm a newbie to FreeNAS so I still need to get my head around all of this. If 9.2.1.5 isn't exactly the best choice, should I run something like 9.2.1.9?
Try the auxiliary parameters I listed above. 9.2.1.9 is a better option than 9.2.1.5, but I'm not sure if that will fix your specific problem.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just plugged them in. Still can't find the group.
It won't allow you to find the group, but it will grant members of the group access to the share.

Basically, all members of "subfolder" can access the share, and will perform file operations as "David". The latter part keeps your permissions in a consistent state. It's taking a hammer to your problems.

David47295

Dabbler
It won't allow you to find the group, but it will grant members of the group access to the share.

Basically, all members of "subfolder" can access the share, and will perform file operations as "David". The latter part keeps your permissions in a consistent state. It's taking a hammer to your problems.

Ohh okay. So that's what those parameters do. I'll test that out and see how it goes. Thanks!

David47295

Dabbler
Alright so I tested out those parameters and they do work sort of, but since I have multiple users, I don't think forcing people to use a certain user would be a great idea. So I decided to forgo groups right now till I upgrade to 9.2.1.9, or I manage to get my hands on new equipment which is compatible with 9.10. Instead I just made user profiles for each user in the house and set permissions based on that. Thanks for the help though anodos!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Alright so I tested out those parameters and they do work sort of, but since I have multiple users, I don't think forcing people to use a certain user would be a great idea. So I decided to forgo groups right now till I upgrade to 9.2.1.9, or I manage to get my hands on new equipment which is compatible with 9.10. Instead I just made user profiles for each user in the house and set permissions based on that. Thanks for the help though anodos!

Well, upgrading to 9.2.1.9 should fix some problems related to groupmapping. You may have to manually fix the groupmap after the upgrade. Note that "force user" only takes affect after a session has been negotiated (i.e. the user needs to authenticate using his credentials, and has to pass the "valid users" test). This has the practical effect of requiring the user to be a member of the "subfolder" group before he can access it, and so the permissions are more strict than simply using guest access.

If you're going the 9.2.1.9 route, it may be worthwhile to do a fresh install, import your pool, then re-create your users / groups / shares.

David47295

Dabbler
Yeah I'm going to re-create all my users, groups and shares anyways. Figured that I might as well start fresh.

David47295

Dabbler
Alright so I'll provided a concluding statement to this. After upgrading to 9.2.1.9 I can now find and add groups in my Windows permissions window! Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.