can't access web gui after 11.1-U6

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Just updated from u5, and now I can't access the web GUI. I accidentally closed the browser during the update. I have never done that before. I waited 10 minutes and logged back in. I received a message saying the update was successful, and needed to activate in the boot menu. I did this. In the boot menu it said it was correctly activated and u6 would boot on reboot. So, I rebooted. That is when I lost web GUI access.

I am able to ping my freenas, but not access the gui or share folder. Plugins (plex, owncloud) can't be accessed either. Tied rebooting. Tried reconfigure DNS without success. Tried network interface configure without success. Not sure what Reset configuration to defaults would do. I am not sure what my next step should be. I have never accessed via shell. Don't have the knowledge base. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

justinbdavis

Cadet
Updated from 11.1-U5 to 11.1-U6 via SSH. WebGUI stopped working as well as SMB shares after reboot. Plex and SSH services seem to work fine. Any information regarding this problem would help.

dublea

Dabbler
If you have physical access I would recommend using the menu to roll back to U5 and try again. I've updated without issue from U5 to U6. Alternatively, if you have a backup of your config you could perform a fresh install and config import.

Bonnie Follweiler

QA Technician
iXsystems
Can you ssh into your freenas or access to the console?
If you do type beadm list to see your boot environments. See if the u6 is in a temporary directory or if it listed at all

patrick sullivan

Contributor
If you have physical access I would recommend using the menu to roll back to U5 and try again. I've updated without issue from U5 to U6. Alternatively, if you have a backup of your config you could perform a fresh install and config import.

I have physical access...I do I roll back to u5?

8) Reset Configuration to Defaults?

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Go to Shell and use the beadm command to temporarily activate U5. Maybe beadm activate 11.1-U5

warning: setting changed through the CLI are not written to the configuration database and will be reset on reboot

GRUB configuration updated successfully
activated successfully

what do I type now?

patrick sullivan

Contributor
warning: setting changed through the CLI are not written to the configuration database and will be rese
reboot I would then remove U6 from the WebUI either try it or upgrade via install and config import.

makes sense....except for "warning: setting changed through the CLI are not written to the configuration database and will be reset on reboot" :) thank you kind sir

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Worked perfectly. Thank you

Bonnie Follweiler

QA Technician
iXsystems
Did your system reboot successfully to 11.1-U5?
Does the Boot Environments show the 11.1-U6 in the list?
Make sure you don’t have an After Reboot next to the U6 boot environment in the GUI. I you do Click on the 11.1-U5 Boot environment and click the Activate button to force it to reboot into U5

If the U6 boot environment has neither an Now or an After Reboot next to it then delete it in the Boot Environment list

Last edited:

BaT

Explorer
Hi, Justin!
Updated from 11.1-U5 to 11.1-U6 via SSH. WebGUI stopped working as well as SMB shares after reboot. Plex and SSH services seem to work fine. Any information regarding this problem would help.

If your SSH access works, can you, please, create a ticket on the https://redmine.ixsystems.com, collect debug log with the /usr/local/bin/ixdiagnose -s -F -d /var/tmp command and attach the resulting file /var/tmp/ixdiagnose.tgz to the ticket?

BaT

Explorer
On a separate note, SMB shares could become unavailable if they were mounted via SMB1 protocol due to the fix in https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/40716, which made SMB2 a default minimum protocol. The relevant sysctl key is freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol and by default is set to SMB2.

JustinClift

Patron
@BaT thanks for that note. I'd just come here to investigate why the CIFS shares (being mounted from a CentOS 7 Linux desktop) aren't mounting any more. I'll give that a go. :)

It turns out CentOS 7's version of the SMB client just defaults to SMB1, but can actually use later, up to version 3.0.

Changing the connection parameters on the client to include "vers=3.0" seems to be working in initial testing. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.