Canon imagerunner scan to file

efficientts

Cadet
Hello,

I am having a problem setting up the scanner to save the document to a shared folder.

I created a user and assigned it to the folder. I do not have a problem accessing the folder using PC with the credential. However, it does not work from the printer. I have contacted the Canon Support but no luck. They only say that the permission to the folder is not correct.

I do not understand why it would not work while accessing from a PC has no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Who on the FreeNAS host owns the folder? Do you get to specify user creds on the scanner, or only IP? Is allow guest access checked in the share properties?

efficientts

Cadet
I entered the same user ID and pwd to the scanner that can be accessed from Windows.

So, basically:

1. Shared folder created
2. assigned the user to the folder.
3. no problem accessing the shared folder from Windows PC with assigned creds
4. entered the same creds to the scanner but failed to access the folder

Please, help.....

Ok but im curious as to what user/group owns the share and what these created share folder permissions are. Do you get to specify the samba user/pass on the scanner? In the FreeNAS sharing options do you have allow guest access checked for the share?

Im thinking you might have a better time utilizing a guest account as an owner for that particular folder. I know this is how it basically works on Windows, by allowing "everyone" access, and turning on the guest account. Do the same thing in FreeNAS and you *should be good. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this if the documents are sensitive.

Here is a different thread, but very similar to the issues you are having. Give it a read thru. HERE

efficientts

Cadet
Thanks for your reply.

As you recommended, I can not allow guest account as it contains sensitive documents. Hence, I would need to have the folder password protected: guest access is not checked for the shared folder.

On the scanner I entered the SMB/CIFC credential. However, freenas won't accept it while accessing the folder from Windows PCs with same credential has no problem.

For creating user/group and assigning it to the folder, I followed this instruction:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

Canon Tech Support are saying that if a user/password combination allows the access to the folder from a PC then the ImageRunner 400i should be able to do so as well but it does not. :(

At this point I would at least try to make it work using a guest user and then work backwards to lock it down. You could always restrict access by IP/host. Allow only your terminal and the printer access to that directory by your IP or hostname. Again, not the prettiest, but functional.

pro lamer

Guru
Windows PCs
Is the scanner able to write to a folder if the folder is shared from a PC? If not then it might be the scanner issue anyway...

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I'm thinking maybe the scanner has a built-in old SMB client that expects or requires NTLMv1. There might be a setting to change that on the scanner, or a firmware update. Or maybe the scanner can write to a different type of share (NFS?). Failing all that, NTLMv1 can be enabled on the SMB service, but any of the previous options are better.

kypdurron5

Dabbler
I'm thinking maybe the scanner has a built-in old SMB client that expects or requires NTLMv1. There might be a setting to change that on the scanner, or a firmware update. Or maybe the scanner can write to a different type of share (NFS?). Failing all that, NTLMv1 can be enabled on the SMB service, but any of the previous options are better.
THIS!! Just figured this out myself tonight after about 2 years without scanning to file (without a USB drive)- got on to post about it but saw yours. Somewhere in updates and a big move, both my scan to email and scan to SMB settings stopped working. Just recently I started working hard on the problems. While I can't really explain what went wrong or how I got the email issues working, scan to SMB was fixed by enabling the "SMB1" setting, and the "NTLMv1" in Freenas under the SMB options. I have a few year but not "old" MF8580Cdw, a serious office-oriented color laser with the latest firmware. Still, these settings were needed to get me back up and running albeit with whatever security risks this poses. I can confirm one setting without the other will not work, although perhaps that's obvious?

If anyone can find something within the Canon web GUI settings to change this, please let us know! I don't see anything related to SMB authentication settings.

Side note: I use an encrypted password manager for all my passwords. It seems pasting the password into the Canon web GUI address book entry wouldn't work. Without changing any other settings, carefully typing it manually did work. Good luck troubleshooting, I've spent hours on this. Canon error messages, and even trying to see if it failed and why with each different attempt, was a chore.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
THIS!! Just figured this out myself tonight after about 2 years without scanning to file (without a USB drive)- got on to post about it but saw yours. Somewhere in updates and a big move, both my scan to email and scan to SMB settings stopped working. Just recently I started working hard on the problems. While I can't really explain what went wrong or how I got the email issues working, scan to SMB was fixed by enabling the "SMB1" setting, and the "NTLMv1" in Freenas under the SMB options. I have a few year but not "old" MF8580Cdw, a serious office-oriented color laser with the latest firmware. Still, these settings were needed to get me back up and running albeit with whatever security risks this poses. I can confirm one setting without the other will not work, although perhaps that's obvious?

If anyone can find something within the Canon web GUI settings to change this, please let us know! I don't see anything related to SMB authentication settings.

Side note: I use an encrypted password manager for all my passwords. It seems pasting the password into the Canon web GUI address book entry wouldn't work. Without changing any other settings, carefully typing it manually did work. Good luck troubleshooting, I've spent hours on this. Canon error messages, and even trying to see if it failed and why with each different attempt, was a chore.

You could possibly work around this (ntlmv1 issue) by creating a hidden share with guest access enabled, and `hosts allow` entry for the scanner. These sorts of issues are probably easiest to diagnose by increasing samba logging and reading /var/log/samba4/log.smbd or getting a packet capture of traffic between the NAS and the printer. tcdump -i <interface> -p -s 0 -w /tmp/smb.pcap HOST <ip of Canon> hit Ctrl + c to stop the pcap, and open the resulting smb.pcap file in Wireshark on a desktop system. You'll want to look at the packets around protocol negotiation and session setup.

kypdurron5

Dabbler
You could possibly work around this (ntlmv1 issue) by creating a hidden share with guest access enabled, and `hosts allow` entry for the scanner. These sorts of issues are probably easiest to diagnose by increasing samba logging and reading /var/log/samba4/log.smbd or getting a packet capture of traffic between the NAS and the printer. tcdump -i <interface> -p -s 0 -w /tmp/smb.pcap HOST <IP of Canon> hit Ctrl + c to stop the pcap, and open the resulting smb.pcap file in Wireshark on a desktop system. You'll want to look at the packets around protocol negotiation and session setup.
Thanks, brilliant idea! For it to work with my printer, I had to leave SMB1 on; however, I was able to turn off ntlmv1. It gives me peace of mind to know that I'm back to using more secure authentication for my protected shares.

Notes for others: "hidden" in Freenas appears to be unchecking the "browseable" box on the share. Also, if using the hosts allow option you also have to create entries for every computer on the network that might want to access the files which is a bit inconvenient although perhaps more secure. Since it's just one (probably temporary) scans holding folder it might be optional depending on the environment and what you're scanning.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks, brilliant idea! For it to work with my printer, I had to leave SMB1 on; however, I was able to turn off ntlmv1. It gives me peace of mind to know that I'm back to using more secure authentication for my protected shares.

Notes for others: "hidden" in Freenas appears to be unchecking the "browseable" box on the share. Also, if using the hosts allow option you also have to create entries for every computer on the network that might want to access the files which is a bit inconvenient although perhaps more secure. Since it's just one (probably temporary) scans holding folder it might be optional depending on the environment and what you're scanning.
You can actually have two shares pointing to the same path, and have the "guest access" one only accessible by the imagerunner via `hosts allow`