Cannot Write to Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveb

Cadet
Hi All,

Suddenly a few days ago i have lost the ability to write to a volume on my Freenas Server.

The Volume is ZFS, I have set Owner and Group as myself (permissions are Windows / Mac ACL), AFP is on and a Share for the volume is running. I can connect to the volume and see all my files which I have previously written there but now it is not working.

I have checked all permissions and cannot see any issue. The last activity i can recall is when i was downloading multiple itunes video files from the itunes store which would have made multiple writes to the share. During this I suddenly lost the ability to write and it has not worked since.

If anyone has any pointers on what i could check i would really appreciate it, Im at my wits end here!

Thanks for your help,
David

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is your pool (or dataset) 100% full?

And can you please post all the info as request for by the forum rules when creating a thread?

daveb

Cadet
Hi Cyberjock,

Thank you for your help, i dont believe the dataset is full as it is showing only 18% utilisation (Screenshot attached).

Some additional info id below as well as the debug file.

- David

Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
Platform
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz
Memory
16299MB
System Time
Mon Oct 13 12:41:11 PDT 2014

Load Average
0.01, 0.03, 0.00

Attachments

• 2014-10-13_12-38-12.jpg
    2014-10-13_12-38-12.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 191
  • debug-freenas-20141013124815.tgz
    852.4 KB · Views: 208

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, you definitely aren't dealing with a full pool or dataset.

I would recommend two things:

1. Upgrade to 9.2.1.8. There's special permissions changes for Apple users in 9.2.1.8.
2. After upgrading, check your permissions again. They may have changed after upgrading to 9.2.1.8.

daveb

Cadet
Hi Cyberjock,

Thanks for your help, i completed the upgrade to 9.2.1.8 successfully. Post upgrade i inspected the permissions but everything seemed to be in order.

As a test, i created a new dataset, shared it with afp using the same user and setup and this works successfully.

From command line i can see the following the following
Code:
[root@freenas /mnt/Homeserver]# ls -l                                          
total 264                                                                      
drwxr-xr-x  6 root         wheel     6 Oct 13 19:42 .system                    
drwxrwxr-x+ 9 davebranley  branley  14 Oct 13 20:08 Fileserver                 
drwxr-xr-x  6 davebranley  branley   8 Oct 13 20:08 Test                       
drwxr-xr-x  5 davebranley  branley   6 Oct 13 11:03 ftp                        
drwxrwxr-x  5 root         wheel     5 Aug  8 23:32 home                       
drwxr-xr-x  7 root         wheel     8 Aug 19 10:40 jails                      
drwxr-xr-x  2 root         wheel     2 Aug  8 10:45 syslog                     
drwxr-xr-x  5 root         wheel     5 Aug  8 23:30 timemachine   

The working share and dataset is "Test", the non working one is Fileserver. As you can see the permissions differ

I tried CHMOD 755 but it does not seem to be permitted.

Also, it looks like some ACL setting is enabled against this dataset but i dont know why or how?

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Many thanks for your help,
David

cyberjock

Inactive Account
chmod won't be permitted if you are using ACLs and the pool/dataset is set to aclmode=restricted.

First, make sure the dataset is set to an apple dataset.

Second, if it's not we'll have some work to do, and you're probably going to have to be my guinea pig... So check the dataset type in the WebGUI and report back.

daveb

Cadet
The Share Type is Unix and Permissions are also set as Unix however permissions may previously have been set to Windows / Mac ACL before the upgrade.

Im currently copying all my files from this dataset into a new one. Once i have completed this we can definitely experiment how how to correct this problem.

The strangest thing is that this had been working perfectly for quite some time and failed all of a sudden with no changes to share / permission types made by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.