cannot map FreeNAS network drive in windows 10

hrhall

Cadet
Using windows10 desktop set up FreeNAS on 64 bit processor with 16 gbytes ram, one drive for SMB sharing

From windows10 desktop I can easily log into the freenas box and see everything, make changes, etc. without difficulty

But file explorer on this machine does not show any freenas shares.

Tried map network drive using the \\ip_address\mnt\volumename\sharename etc. but received error message in pop-up window:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following
error has occurred:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

If I log into my router it shows the freenas box to be active, also windows10 desktop machine.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Try \\ip.address\nameOfSMB
You just need to point to the name of the SMB you set up. It looks like it's not functioning because the location you are pointing to is not accurate.

Im not an expert but just a couple things I would try if what I suggested didn't work.

1. Reboot both freenas and your computer. Sounds dumb but there has been so times I've wasted hours tying to fix somthing and then it magically works after restarting.

2. Make sure you have SMB enabled in freenas.

3. Make sure you set the permissions to read and write for the user you are logging into the SMB.

Try \\ip_address\ in the Windows Explorer address bar first to see if the FreeNAS shares are visible. If you can, then right-click on a share and map that way.

You won't see computers (FreeNAS or otherwise) offering shares or printers in Windows Explorer as the network browser service that was used to display these offerings depended on the SMB1 protocol, which has now been turned off by default. If you want to continue to browse your network, you either switch SMB1 back on (not a good idea) or use the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Useful information here, here and here.

Last edited: