Cannot login as Root in Putty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicness35

Dabbler
Hi,

I am trying to use SSH on putty, but when I try to login, it says that my password for root is invalid. What do I do?

I have in intel pentium d inside with a old dell motherboard (I don't know model, pops up with DM061 at BIOS) 3 gigs of ram, and intel gigabit nic card.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I am trying to use SSH on putty, but when I try to login, it says that my password for root is invalid. What do I do?

I have in intel pentium d inside with a old dell motherboard (I don't know model, pops up with DM061 at BIOS) 3 gigs of ram, and intel gigabit nic card.

You probably have to enable password login by root; HOWEVER, you're hardware is woefully inadequate for FreeNAS. You should either look at a different OS or buy new kit (Dell T20 is probably the cheapest way to go new).

See hardware recommendation sticky.

Epicness35

Dabbler
I mean, the hardware is not holding me down, I have an old babrracuda 80 gb sata 2 hard drive, that gives me 100 MB/s read and down, so that is really not a problem. And I use Freenas 9.10, and I could not find where password login by root is. Is it "disable password login" if it is, is on false, just as lock user is on false.

Epicness35

Dabbler
where? I look in users and look under root (modify user). there is no checkbox for "login as root with password"

Hi..
Im having the same problem, I dont see how to get to SSH configuration as referenced at the link... http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_services.html#ssh.
Im at the Console setup screen with choices 1 to 12,
1)....8)
9) Shell
10)System update
11) Reboot
12) Shutdown
I finally figured out how to update the BIOS and BMC, now Im stuck trying to SSH using Putty so I can start my burn in tests.

My setup:-
ASROCK Mother board C2550D4I
Crucial Memory CT2Kit102472BD160B (8x2)
Corsair Power supply SF450
Silverstone Case DS380
Hard Drives 4x WD 3TB Reds + 4x Seagate Nas 3Tb

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi..
Im having the same problem, I dont see how to get to SSH configuration as referenced at the link... http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_services.html#ssh.
Im at the Console setup screen with choices 1 to 12,
1)....8)
9) Shell
10)System update
11) Reboot
12) Shutdown
I finally figured out how to update the BIOS and BMC, now Im stuck trying to SSH using Putty so I can start my burn in tests.

My setup:-
ASROCK Mother board C2550D4I
Crucial Memory CT2Kit102472BD160B (8x2)
Corsair Power supply SF450
Silverstone Case DS380
Hard Drives 4x WD 3TB Reds + 4x Seagate Nas 3Tb
You have to use a web browser to connect to the FreeNAS GUI interface available at the IP address displayed on your console. To do this, you will need a PC that's connected to the same network as your FreeNAS server. Once you get access to the GUI, go to the Services menu and select 'SSH Settings' to enable root login.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.