Cannot delete acrolock .tmp files

dl9

Cadet
I am unable to delete files acrolock*****.tmp files.

Says "you need permission to perform this action"

Using Core 13.0-U4

Why aren't these files deleting on their own?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What are they? Where does it say that? Are you trying to remove the files by hand? Getting an error message of some sort? A little context would be greatly helpful.

dl9

Cadet
I believe they are temporary files originating from Adobe PDF Files. This problem did not exist when using Windows Server as a file server. This problem started immediately after switching to truenas.

This is the error message when i try to delete them manually. This prevents me from deleting parent directories.

The SMB share is being served to windows 10 and 11 clients.

1685644848963.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I would say that's some sort of SMB permissions issue. I make very little use of SMB and absolutely no use of Windows permissions so I'll have to leave this for someone else to comment on.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
There appears to be some odd behavior with regards to Adobe setting empty ACLs on its temporary files. One user has posted that they solved this issue by disabling certain "enhanced security" features in Acrobat, but I'm uncertain if this causes any additional risk to your client systems.

dl9

Cadet
There appears to be some odd behavior with regards to Adobe setting empty ACLs on its temporary files. One user has posted that they solved this issue by disabling certain "enhanced security" features in Acrobat, but I'm uncertain if this causes any additional risk to your client systems.

Thank you, I did see that post and disabled those enhanced security features and the acrolock*.tmp files still are appearing. I might need to test more to see if they continue to appear.

This doesn't seem like a great solution because I will have to disable that feature on 20+ clients and does seem like an additional security risk.