cannot create snapshot

tNBvJmZ3

Cadet
Every since I upgraded to 11.3-U2.1 I'm getting the following error on some of my periodic snapshot tasks:

cannot create snapshot 'pool1/nextcloud@auto-2020-05-26_00-00': dataset already exists.

Snapshot Task For Dataset "pool1/nextcloud" failed: cannot create snapshot 'pool1/nextcloud@auto-2020-05-26_00-00': dataset already exists..
Tue, 26 May 2020 12:00:01 AM (America/New_York)

It seems to only happen on the snapshots generated at 12:00 a.m.

Usually deleting them fixes the issue for a day or two but then it happens again.

I would appreciate some help on this.

Thanks

tNBvJmZ3

Cadet
Bumping my own thread. I've seen other people complaining about this so I know I'm not the only one.

spotcatbug

Dabbler
Just to follow-up: I’m an idiot. In case anybody else is also an idiot like me...

I have a periodic snapshot task set for “main” (the main dataset.) This task runs at 9 AM every morning and is also recursive. I was unaware that the recursive setting would create separate snapshots for all the child datasets. (Reading the little note on that setting - it’s very clear that’s what happens!)

The periodic snapshot task that kept failing was for a child dataset of ”main” which was also set to occur at 9AM every morning.

The 9AM task time is relevant because it makes the snapshot naming the same between the two tasks.

What was happening was the 9AM task for creating the snapshot of “main” was already creating the (separate) snapshot for the child dataset. When the child’s snapshot task tried to create its own snapshot, it would fail because the 9AM snapshot was already there (done by the recursion of the “main” snapshot task.)

My only question now is, why didn’t this show up until after I upgrade from 11.3-U5 to 12.0-U2? Was the failure just silent before?