Cannot connect to share after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

klompen

Cadet
Today I installed the update to FreeNAS-11.1-U4. Before the update I was able to access my share through Windows Explorer, now I get a message for each user saying that the user has been disabled. The exact message is "Microsoft Windows Network: This user can't sign in because this account is currently disabled."

This is a Workgroup network environment.This happens from both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 systems. All FreeNAS users have the same name as the Windows user and are set so that no password is required. No other changes have been made to my environment except applying this update. I have tried restarting the server as well as stopping & starting the SMB service.

I'm pretty much a newbie with FreeNAS so I'm feeling pretty lost and would appreciate some advice.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS users have the same name as the Windows user and are set so that no password is required.
Then why do you have users? Give everyone passwords and try again.

Did you select "disable password authentication"? Because that doesn't mean "you don't need a password", it means "you're not going to be able to sign in, except via SSH and only with a key pair".

klompen

Cadet
Thanks for the response. I'm sorry I confused things about the passwords. What I meant is that each user has "Disable password authentication" checked. Each user has credentials that match the Windows user's credentials. This system worked as expected until I updated FreeNAS. After the update, I'm getting the error.

FWIW, I created a new user with the same options and the new user has the same issues. It is as if some service involved in user authentication has been turned off, but I haven't been able to discover what has been changed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It is as if some service involved in user authentication has been turned off
It is off, you can't select "Disable password authentication" and expect users to be able to login via SMB. The fact that it worked for a while is a miracle/rather nasty bug.

klompen

Cadet
Thank you, Eric. Deselecting "Disable password authentication" did the trick.

I only set it up this way because I followed M0nkey's advice from his videos on setting up permissions for FreeNAS. Since it worked, I didn't question it because I really didn't have a good enough handle on permissions to think it should be any different.

Now if only I can get PLEX to build the library for the photos that I just copied to the server...

Thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
He says to do so in the video? That's unexpected. I'll have to talk to him about it.

RegularJoe

Patron
Windows 10 the last update disabled smb 1,1 connections, so if your FreeNAS is allowing SMB 1,1 then your nice windows machine should be telling you that it tried to negotiate a deprecated version of SMB and will now reject connecting to the host as it might be a security risk.

Now if you were connecting to a server 2016 host you would not have this issue, Microsoft may only believe that windows is the only OS in use by humans on the planet earth...

Status
Not open for further replies.