Cannot add iSCSI storage in esxi nested lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have setup and esxi nested lab, I setup iSCSI using freenas as a VM and could connect to it from a my physical host and nested hosts, then after a few days I had connectivity issues where it would constantly drop connection to my physical host and my nested hosts wouldn't be able to see it atall.
I read that freenas can have issues when setup as a VM so I installed freenas onto an old laptop and connnected it to a switch to my physical host. I am still having similar issues, when I add it to my physical host it adds straight away (although it did lose connection once ) , when I try and add it to my nested hosts it wont add, I have the exact same networking and storage adapter info setup, I am using dynamic discovery, and when I enter it I look at the static discovery and the exact same static entry for the target is automatically entered in the nested host as the physical host but it still wont let me add the actual device, any ideas would be much appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, playing with FreeNAS in a VM is "less than ideal". Good on you for trying a bare-metal install on your laptop. But, laptops themselves are also "less than ideal" as they often have incompatible and unstable hardware when running FreeBSD/FreeNAS. So I'm not sure if you've gained any insightful knowledge when trying on your laptop versus a VM. It's very well known around here that trying laptops with FreeNAS almost never ends well. So while you're having problems on the laptop I don't consider the fact that you are having problems still to be particularly useful information.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For the best of all fun worlds, I have VMware Workstation on my laptop and enough RAM to run significant VM's. Maybe if I take some more grumpy pills I can write up a howto on how to set up ESXi and FreeNAS inside VMware Workstation and then discuss all the finer points. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.