Can Ping FREENAS sever but can't access anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
I am a noob with unix but not so in the IT world. My freenas server was running well until today. I have a pen drive running freenas 8.0 64 bit. power failure and can ping the server but can't access the web gui or any of the shares! (Windows based network) the following errors have scrolled down:

GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16a, 635 !=255h, 63s)

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/lighttpd: WARNING: failed to start lighttpd

/etc/rc: warning: failed precmd routine for vmware_guestd

this is all greek to me! how can I fix these errors? Anticipated thanks.

Visseroth

Guru
Seems this may be a bug. I had the same error the other day and had to reload my system and restore my config.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
Visseroth,

Thanks fro your response. since I can't access the console, how do I reload and\or restore my config? This is driving me nuts!!! Thanks. (By the way, I am learning Linux!)

Milhouse

Guru
GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16a, 635 !=255h, 63s)

/etc/rc: warning: failed precmd routine for vmware_guestd

The above two errors are, unfortunately, totally normal and nothing to worry about - they're just noise, with luck a future release will stop them appearing.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/lighttpd: WARNING: failed to start lighttpd

Now this is a problem... it looks like the webserver hasn't started for some reason. If you can access the server using ssh, or via the console (plug a keyboard and monitor into the server), then check what messages (if any) are in /var/log/lighttpd.error.log

Visseroth

Guru
The only ways I know how to reload a system is a install from CDROM or using the console to restore the system back to factory condition then logging into the web gui and uploading the config back to the server and let it reboot a couple times while it re-applies the settings.
If you don't have a backup of your config then you're starting from scratch and will need to import your raid array.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
Milhouse,

Thanks for your promtp response. Can you tell me what are teh procedures to logon and check what went wrong here? I can't access teh shares anymore. I can see the folder mapped in windows but when I clicked on them it prompt me for a Guest password that I never setup! I also changed the DHCP schema (new network setup) and had noticed the following error. it is:

(Network.c.358) Can't bind to port: 192.168.2.143 80 Can't assign requested address. How can I fixed that as well? Once again thank you very much for yur support and patience.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
Visseroth,

Thanks for your support. I do not have a backup of my config. I only has one drive into my FREENAS. If I reload from the CDROM, do I loose all my data? Pleae reply at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

Visseroth

Guru
You won't loose any data on your drives but you will loose all of your configs as your only wiping and reloading the flash drive the OS (FreeNAS) is installed on. Once you have reloaded your operating system log into the gui and go to Storage -> Volumes -> and try "Auto Import Volume". If this does not work use "Import Volume" and select your drives.
I have myself had to do this a couple times which is why I now save my config after every successful change of "Anything" in my FreeNAS box. If you ever have to wipe and reload your flash drive again or return your system to factory defaults then you can restore your config via System -> Settings -> click "Upload Config". Once you upload your config your system will reboot twice and be back to the condition of your last configuration save and takes around 15 minutes to do all the steps and wait for the reboots. At least it takes me 15 minutes or so and my machine is a server so it boots SLOW! At least the POST process is slow.
Anyhow, hope that helps. As to your question per post 6, sorry, I don't know that much to help in regards to what you asked.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
You won't loose any data on your drives but you will loose all of your configs as your only wiping and reloading the flash drive the OS (FreeNAS) is installed on. Once you have reloaded your operating system log into the gui and go to Storage -> Volumes -> and try "Auto Import Volume". If this does not work use "Import Volume" and select your drives.
I have myself had to do this a couple times which is why I now save my config after every successful change of "Anything" in my FreeNAS box. If you ever have to wipe and reload your flash drive again or return your system to factory defaults then you can restore your config via System -> Settings -> click "Upload Config". Once you upload your config your system will reboot twice and be back to the condition of your last configuration save and takes around 15 minutes to do all the steps and wait for the reboots. At least it takes me 15 minutes or so and my machine is a server so it boots SLOW! At least the POST process is slow.
Anyhow, hope that helps. As to your question per post 6, sorry, I don't know that much to help in regards to what you asked.

Thanks Visseroth. Appreciate the help and quick response. Will try to reload the OS tonight. Will post results.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
Thanks Visseroth. Appreciate the help and quick response. Will try to reload the OS tonight. Will post results.

Can I install the latest version of Frennas? I installed V8.0. since I am wiping out the config, I assume it does not matter which version I use but feel I should ask first. Thanks for your support.

lfilomeno

Dabbler

Visseroth,

I followed your instructions above. No joy. The Auto Import Volume primpts me to select the disk nad when I click on the arrow down, I have nothing to select. I tried the other option (Import Volument) and prompted me with Volume name which I do not know what was it! Do I need to pick my primary disk from Disks > Management webgui menu first then go adn do the steps above? Pleae advice. Thanks for your support.

Visseroth

Guru
I would say take a guess on your volume name. I'm not sure if the old volume name is needed. I've always known mine so it's never been an issue.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
I would say take a guess on your volume name. I'm not sure if the old volume name is needed. I've always known mine so it's never been an issue.

Thanks fro your response. So picking up the disk is not needed I asume from your response. Any console commands that will let me see the name of the volume? Pleae advice. Thanks for your support.

Visseroth

Guru
To tell you the truth I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I'm still quite new to FreeBSD myself and if I recall correctly when I had to select which disks to import I was able to select multiple disks and re-import my Raidz setup.
hopefully someone with more experience regarding your concerns will be by shortly to answer your questions.

lfilomeno

Dabbler
To tell you the truth I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I'm still quite new to FreeBSD myself and if I recall correctly when I had to select which disks to import I was able to select multiple disks and re-import my Raidz setup.
hopefully someone with more experience regarding your concerns will be by shortly to answer your questions.

thanks for your prompt response. Hopefully, someone with more experience than us should pitch in soon. Thank yor for your support anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.