Can only boot in "fail safe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magion

Cadet
Hi!

I've just started using FreeNAS.
I have been using FreeBSD and Nexenta before, so I'm not new to *BSD or ZFS.
But when I switched to FreeNAS, I can only boot it if I choose "fail safe".

If I don't choose "fail safe", it will always stop when scanning the hard drives, and always at "pass 5".
I first thought there was some error with that specific drive, so tried disconnecting some and even rearranging them, but whatever I do it always stops at "pass 5".
Also, in the beginning when it lists all hard drives with a drive letter (C:, D: E: etc.) it's missing one drive (it lists 10 drives instead of 11).
But everything works without a problem if I'm running in "fail safe".

My system:
Tyan S5375 motherboard
2x Xeon E5420
16GB RAM
6x WD 4TB Se connected to an Adaptec 31205 as JBOD
3x WD 4TB Se connected to the motherboard
2x SSD also connected to the motherboard

I know it's quite an old system, but normal FreeBSD and Nexenta works without a problem... and also FreeNAS works perfectly if I boot it in "fail safe".

It would be nice to find out why it can't boot normally... but as a workaround, is there any way to boot in "fail safe" as default?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My first comment is that Adaptec card has to go. I have yet to see an Adaptec card actually do proper JBOD. Every person that has come in here claiming to have done so has been proven wrong. I'd bet that if you search for Adaptec in the forums you'll find some user that has used your exact controller and been proven wrong.

There's a possibility the motherboard isn't compatible. You're the only person I can ever remember to use Tyan, so you are kind of on your own. :/

You didn't say what version you tried. But if 9.2.1.8 won't work and the latest 9.3 nightly don't work you almost certainly have some kind of hardware incompatibility or hardware problem.

Magion

Cadet
I'm using 9.2.1.8. Haven't tried 9.3 nightly yet.
Yes, I know it's an old and outdated motherboard, but the same hardware has worked fine before with FreeBSD and Nexenta... so I thought it would work with FreeNAS also.

I first configured all the drives as an one array as JBOD, and then I configured them as 6 single drive arrays. The last is what I'm currently using, and as I said, in "fail safe" everything is working perfectly, it's just the normal boot that hangs.
What is the difference between "fail safe" and "normal"? As it just seems to do the same checks but continues in "fail safe" where it normally stops in "normal".

If I would change the Adaptec card, do you have any suggestions on any other card that's not too expensive and can support 12 drives? (I'm planning to add 6 more drives later)

I will do some research about FreeBSD/FreeNAS and adaptec cards and see what I can find in the meantime... but if I have to change the card I will... it's very outdated and was from before I was using ZFS, so the RAID and battery backup capabilities of it is not at all important anymore in my current setup.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
See, you just validated the problem with the Adaptecs. You aren't in JBOD. You are litterally running 6 RAID0 arrays. JBOD is individual disks with no RAID on them. You *are* running a RAID on them. So your initial post where you claimed to run JBOD is incorrect. ;)

I'd get 2xM1015s if the board has PCIe. If you don't have PCIe you're going to be having to decide what to use on your own. Virtually everything "good/recommended/tested" is PCIe these days. The M1015s are cheap and there's some hardware stickies on the topic in the forums if you want to read more.

I had several Adaptecs, several Highpoints and one or two 3wares. None were acceptable for ZFS and were all sold on ebay to the highest bidder. :(

Magion

Cadet
Yes, that is true... I never found any "real" option for JBOD in the configuration on the Adaptec.
I do have PCIe, one x16 and one x8 (one of which is currently occupied by the Adaptec).
I will try to disconnect the Adaptec entirely and see if it boots normally without it, if it does, I guess it's time to get some other cards for the hard drives.
Thanks for your suggestions, I will check the card you mentioned to see if it would be good for my old system.

EDIT:
I will be away over the weekend, but I will continue to investigate next week considering the Adaptec card... if everything works without the Adaptec card, I will get the cards you mentioned instead, as they seem to be very cheap and do what I need.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.