Can not replace a drive using the FreeNAS GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenux_tux

Patron
Hi,

Getting a very strange problem even after upgrading from version 8 (i386) to 8.0.1 (AMD/64) whereby a hard drive is not being listed correctly in the "View Disks" section of "Storage". I don't think the upgrade was the cause of this as I have been seeing strange disk behavior before.

Here is a list of my installed drives which were originally part of a RAIDz (RAID5) setup
(camcontrol devlist)
<SAMSUNG HD103SI 1AG01118> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<SAMSUNG HD103SI 1AG01118> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<SAMSUNG HD103SI 1AG01118> at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada2)
<SanDisk Cruzer Edge 1.20> at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,da0)

When you look at the disks listed in the "View Disks" section one of my other disks (which is not installed right now, a 2TB Western Digital) is listed as part of the RAIDz ? (please see attached pic). The name is not shown and the serial number is listed as "unknown".

I have tried to use the GUI to replace the drive and it gives me an error.

I am new (obviously) to ZFS and the syntax of zpool so am reluctant to start trying to remove a disk from the command line, though I am perfectly happy to work on the command line if needed as I have worked with CentOS/Redhat for years.

I am (luckily) still at a point where I can save off the data to another disk, destroy the volumes and RAIDz, re-create and put all data back, bit I would prefer not to if I can :smile:

If anyone else has seen this strange behavior and has any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Strange_Disk_Problem.JPG
    Strange_Disk_Problem.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 241

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi leenux_tux,

You're probably going to have to try some stuff at the command line, but one thing you can try from the GUI first is to 'Export' your pool, and then try the 'Auto Import'. If that doesn't work, from the command line post back the output of 'zpool status -v', you'll probably have to do a 'zpool detach <device-name>' of the phantom device.

leenux_tux

Patron
Hi protosd,

Did an export of the pool (TANK), making sure to uncheck the boxes that would destroy the volumes, then tried and auto import and the disk drop down is not populated. Here is the output from the zpool status -v command..

pool: TANK
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
TANK ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1 ONLINE 0 0 0
gpt/disk0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gpt/disk1 ONLINE 0 0 0
gpt/disk2 ONLINE 0 0 0

Can I re-initialize it from the command line ?

leenux_tux

Patron
Also, when I do a df -h the file systems are still listed?

[root@freenas] ~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a 927M 429M 424M 50% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/md0 4.3M 3.6M 388K 90% /etc
/dev/md1 732K 16K 660K 2% /mnt
/dev/md2 75M 22M 47M 31% /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 20M 822K 17M 4% /data
TANK 1.2T 35K 1.2T 0% /mnt/TANK
TANK/MOVIES 500G 295G 205G 59% /mnt/TANK/MOVIES
TANK/MUSIC 80G 66G 14G 83% /mnt/TANK/MUSIC
TANK/PERSONAL 250G 210G 40G 84% /mnt/TANK/PERSONAL

leenux_tux

Patron
Hi protosd,

Had to run a zpool export POOLNAME from the CLI to fully export the pool. Not sure why the GUI would not do it. I then went into the GUI and tried and auto-import and the pool was listed correctly. Imported and hay-presto, the correct set of disks are now listed for the pool.

Thanks for the pointers, gotta love ZFS !!

ProtoSD

MVP
Leenux_tux,

Glad you got it. There are GUI/database issues where it doesn't get updated properly. You did the right thing. 'df' is unaware of how zfs is seeing the disks, so that's why it didn't have any discrepancies. Also, since there really wasn't any problem with your ZFS pool, just the fact that it was out of sync with the database, it didn't matter. Don't forget to run scrubs on your pool every couple of weeks to keep it in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.