Can I use Rclone to mount my Google Drive?

Tony Self

Contributor
My main reason for using FreeNAS is to run and support my Plex media library. My main installation is in Thailand. I used to have a VPS in the cloud, but that is now closed down and I am looking at alternative solutions to share my library with a few select family and friends. My library is synced up to my Google Drive on a regular basis.

I have a backup FreeNAS 11.2 server is the UK which I used to record a few UK TV programs I can't get from other sources. I was thinking it would be useful to be able to mount my Google Drive on this server for local UK sharing.

In searching through the forum I got the impression that this was not possible in jails, but these were fairly old posts pre-11.2. It seems to me that with Rclone built into 11.2, it should be possible to setup a startup script to mount my google drive and a shutdown script to unmount it.

Has anybody tried this successfully?

Regards

Tony

danb35

Hall of Famer
rclone doesn't "mount" filesystems--it allows you to copy to and from, but it doesn't make the remote provider appear in the filesystem tree of your machine.

Tony Self

Contributor
Sorry, I think you are a bit out of date. The "mount" command was added a little while ago - check out rclone.org. I have used it to mount my google drive on an Ubuntu machine. Try rclone --help on a 11-2 server and you will see the mount command listed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Shows what I know--I hadn't known about that option for rclone. Given that, I'd expect you should be able to do what you're describing.

Tony Self

Contributor
Ok, I will give it ago when I get back to the UK. In the meantime any further comments from people who have attempted this will be very welcome.
Heading off to the airport in 20 minutes.

Tony Self

Contributor
Ok, I will give it ago when I get back to the UK. In the meantime any further comments from people who have attempted this will be very welcome.
Heading off to the airport in 20 minutes.
Well I have tried the rclone mount command and I am getting the following error: -

Code:
Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: open /dev/fuse: no such file or directory

I presume that I need to install FUSE. Can this be done outside a jail?

SKiZZ

Dabbler
Well I have tried the rclone mount command and I am getting the following error: -

Code:
Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: open /dev/fuse: no such file or directory

I presume that I need to install FUSE. Can this be done outside a jail?

Ever have any luck with this?