Can I replicate to a Windows 7 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPete

Dabbler
Can I set up replication for my FreeNAS 9.3 box to a separate Windows 7 PC?
I already have replication running on my local FreeNAS box (localhost). It works well, but I have recently realised that the backup is vulnerable to disruptions of the FreeNAS box itself. Recently, I had to re-configure volumes and realised that if anything happened to the striped volume that holds the backup, I would lose it. So, one solution would be to have it on a separate PC. The problem is that I already have 3 computers running, as well as a laptop, and I don't really want to build another one. My Windows media PC is under-used, so it would be handy if I could have the remote replication device on there - but can it be done? I see that VMWare might be a solution, but is that overkill?
Essentially, what I want to achieve is an external backup, using replication, without having to build another computer.

Thanks,
Pete

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can I set up replication for my FreeNAS 9.3 box to a separate Windows 7 PC?
No.
I see that VMWare might be a solution, but is that overkill?
If you mean "run FreeNAS in VMware player on a Win 7 computer in production" then that would be just plain-Jane 'kill'. No 'overkill' involved.

Either (1) get a new server as a backup target, (2) use a backup method other than ZFS replication, (3) get a chassis that support s more drives then configure a more resilient backup pool and export it to keep as offline backup, or (4) some combination of (1)-(3).

The price difference between (1) and (3) is about $280 if you purchase a Dell T20.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
Your question is all over the map, so let's clarify some things so we can get a good solution for you.

I already have replication running on my local FreeNAS box (localhost). It works well, but I have recently realised that the backup is vulnerable to disruptions of the FreeNAS box itself.

Replication to where? Replication requires a source and a destination. Are you replicating between one dataset to another dataset on the same device? Do you mean snapshots?

Recently, I had to re-configure volumes and realised that if anything happened to the striped volume that holds the backup, I would lose it.

Striped volumes are non-redundant. Do you mean mirrored volumes? In general, you probably shouldn't be using striped arrays to hold data you care about.

So, one solution would be to have it on a separate PC. The problem is that I already have 3 computers running, as well as a laptop, and I don't really want to build another one. My Windows media PC is under-used, so it would be handy if I could have the remote replication device on there - but can it be done?

ZFS replication only works between ZFS datasets. You can not replicate a ZFS dataset to an NTFS volume. However, you could use a tool like rsync to copy the files at between the computers.

I see that VMWare might be a solution, but is that overkill?
Essentially, what I want to achieve is an external backup, using replication, without having to build another computer.

Thanks,
Pete

Are you really, truly sure you want replication? There are lots of other backup options other than replication.

And if you really do want replication, there's always the option of converting on of the PCs to a Linux/BSD system that supports ZFS, and using that to replicate the data.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If the OP just means to "back up his files", he can certainly do the following to a Windows box:

* Get the software "SyncBackFree" from 2BrightSparksSoftware, have Windows "Pull" whatever files have changed from the NAS. I do this to back up my NAS. Works great. Runs for about 1-10 minutes per night, copying anything that's new.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You can replicate to files, but managing the mess is unlikely to make it worth.
I have no mess with SyncBackFree. Works great. Scans the source for changes, scans the destination for changes, deletes anything this is on destination but not source, and copies anything that is on source but not destination. Beautiful.

Robert Smith

Patron
I have no mess with SyncBackFree. Works great. Scans the source for changes, scans the destination for changes, deletes anything this is on destination but not source, and copies anything that is on source but not destination. Beautiful.

I was talking about ZFS Replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.