Can I change the SATA port that my HD is connected to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Hey guys I have the stupid question of the day here.....

I have a Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard that has 2 SATA 3gbps ports, 4 SATA 6gbps ports, and a built-in LSI2308 controller with 8 SAS 6gbps ports on it. Currently I have a 6-disk pool (containing all 4TB SATA red drives) and all of the disks have been plugged into the SAS ports. A buddy of mine was going to throw out 4 SAS hard drives that he wasn't using and I grabbed them up thinking that I could use them on my server when I occasionally reboot into a separate windows hard drive so that I could use handbrake.

So the stupid question is this: Can I just unplug my 6 hard drives from my RAIDZ2 pool and plug them in to the SATA ports without manually changing anything in the BIOS or elsewhere in FreeNAS?

I am guessing that I can plug them in anywhere and the system recognizes the serial numbers of the drive and can figure out the configuration of my pool but I just wanted to be sure that my guess is correct.

Along the same lines: Can I have some drives from my pool plugged into the SATA ports and some plugged into the SAS ports or is mixing drives on the native SATA ports and a built-in LSI controller a big no-no? I assume that I can mix them but would like some feedback from others here.

I have another question that I was going to ask in a separate thread but I figure it is somewhat close to my stupid question of the day so I suppose I will ask it here too....
I have an NTFS formatted small hard drive with Windows on it that I sometimes boot into instead of FreeNAS so that I can use my nice Xeon processor to convert movies in Handbrake. The drive shows up in the volume manager in FreeNAS and I was curious whether I could mount that hard drive so that I could write the movie files that I am looking to convert straight to the hard drive?

Thank you so much for your help with these questions!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
So the stupid question is this: Can I just unplug my 6 hard drives from my RAIDZ2 pool and plug them in to the SATA ports without manually changing anything in the BIOS or elsewhere in FreeNAS?

I am guessing that I can plug them in anywhere and the system recognizes the serial numbers of the drive and can figure out the configuration of my pool but I just wanted to be sure that my guess is correct.

Along the same lines: Can I have some drives from my pool plugged into the SATA ports and some plugged into the SAS ports or is mixing drives on the native SATA ports and a built-in LSI controller a big no-no? I assume that I can mix them but would like some feedback from others here.
yes, yes, yes (it's OK)

I have an NTFS formatted small hard drive with Windows on it that I sometimes boot into instead of FreeNAS so that I can use my nice Xeon processor to convert movies in Handbrake. The drive shows up in the volume manager in FreeNAS and I was curious whether I could mount that hard drive so that I could write the movie files that I am looking to convert straight to the hard drive?
No, FreeNAS can't write to an NTFS drive.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Thank you depasseg!!! I really appreciate the help! I figured I was right but wasn't willing to put my pool on the line to test it out =).

Status
Not open for further replies.