SATA 3Gbps Intel or SATA 6Gbps Marvell

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertymodo

Contributor
I'm running on the ASRock C2550D4I board with 6x2TB WD Red drives, and I'm wondering which set of SATA ports to use. There is an set of 6 ports powered by an Intel controller, of which 2 are 6Gbps and 4 are 3Gbps, and there is another set of 6 ports powered by Marvell controllers, all of which are 6Gbps. It is my understanding that with the Intellipower drives, the actual drive access speed is the bottleneck, not the SATA channel, so it shouldn't make a difference to use the 3Gbps ports vs the 6 with these drives, and from what I've read, the Intel controller is a better choice than Marvell, so am I right in choosing the Intel ports over the Marvell ports?

Yatti420

Wizard
I would use intel ports or the main ports for the Asrock.. Make sure you review the motherboard manual / specifications..

Edit: The bottleneck is always the drive? I didn't go with SATA 6gbps because there is no point at this point in time..

beemaster

Dabbler
Your bottleneck would rather be Ethernet (1Gbps).
3Gbps or 6Gbps doesn't make any difference in this case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Intel is almost always more reliable. Since you're using mechanical drives, even SATA 1,5Gb/s would be enough.

qwertymodo

Contributor
Alright, I have them switched over to the Intel ports. I'd originally hooked up to the Marvell ports just because the Intel ones were kind of inconveniently placed for my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.