Can a user "write" but not "delete"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecmm7

Cadet
Hi, Im Matías from Argentina. Im new in FreeNAS, and my problem is with permission in sharing. I want to let my users copy all files in a shared folder (this shared folder is a RAID 5 in my FreeNAS), then they can execute this files and copy back to their pc, but I don't want to let them delete or modify. They going to have a shared unit in their Windows, and FreeFileSync auto-backup their files.
In another OS, for example Ubuntu Server, my shared folder have write permission but my SAMBA create a mask 0555 (read and execute) on the folder files, in that way, they can write but not delete or modify. Can I do this if I have only the CIFS permission? Can I install SAMBA in FreeNAS?

Sorry for my English and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it can work.

To rephrase, what I think you want is to give users the ability to create new files, but you don't want them to be able to modify those files or delete files. Unfortunately, creating a new file colloquially involves two steps: creating a pointer in the file system, and then setting that points information. The second step is exactly what you do when you modify a file. If you give people the ability to create new files, all they get is the first step. So in order to create new files and populate those files with data, you also have to give them the ability to modify those files.

tecmm7

Cadet
This is I want to do, but this is with ubuntu server and samba4. I put 2 different permissions (or mask) but I don't know how can I do it in FreeNAS.

I made the video. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're doing it wrong. DO NOT USE UNIX PERMISSIONS WITH SMB SHARES.

Can I install SAMBA in FreeNAS?
FreeNAS uses Samba, no way around it.

Edit: Fixed stupid excessive bold text caused by XenForo bug

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You might be able to achieve this through ACLs using 'advanced permissions' on Windows. I haven't tried it myself and am somewhat skeptical about whether it effectively protects data. Users will be able to 'copy over' files or replace them with zero-length ones. You'd think this is a silly counter-example, but it happens in real life... a lot.

https://wiki.freenas.org/index.php/Methods_For_Fine-Tuning_Samba_Permissions#Access_Permissions

Edit: just realized you don't want them to be able to modify. In this case I don't think what you want is possible through just ACLs.

Last edited:

agartha79

Cadet
What about setting the immutable flag on all files/dirs you want to protect from deletion like this:
Code:
$ chflags schg <file/dir>

There is also the sappnd flag, but I couldn't get that one to work.

agartha79

Cadet
Status
Not open for further replies.