SOLVED Buying a Supermicro 1U with X9DRI-LN4F (EE-ATX) and replacing the case.

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have changed my mind a million times about what hardware to get for my first FreeNAS system and I have been convinced by the resident grinch to start with older hardware such as Xeon E5-26xx v2 and I have found this which I will probably kit with dual Xeon E5-2650 v2's which come at 35 pounds each.

Now this is a pretty nice price for the motherboard, but the chassis does not meet my requirements as it is very small ( I would like to house 6 HDD's and a couple of SSD's) and 1U will potentially be too noisy for my living room where the server will reside.
The problem is then that the aforementioned motherboard is EE-ATX and finding a cheap case for it is not easy.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I find a motherboard that is at max E-ATX for which there are a multitude of options for the case.
On another note, provided the chassis comes with a Supermicro PSU, are these of good quality? Or should I replace this as well with a Seasonic one?

Cheers

Inxsible

Guru
Maybe ask the seller if they are willing to sell you just the board and CPU so you don't have to deal with an empty chassis.

I have one of those 1U Supermicro servers which hosts my Proxmox VM server. Given that I already have a separate TrueNAS system, the 4 disks on the 1U are more than sufficient because all my data is hosted on the NAS box anyway.

But if it were my only system then 4 disks might be a tad short. They do make significant noise at startup. Those factory fans screech like jet engines after a cold boot but about 30 seconds after, they are not so bad. My server resides in a 24U rack in the basement which is also why I am not that concerned with the noise. Putting it in the living room -- I'd say you would get used to the sound eventually. Since it's a server, the aim is to keep it online 24/7, so it's not like you'd be dealing with the screeching sound constantly.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi all,

I have changed my mind a million times about what hardware to get for my first FreeNAS system and I have been convinced by the resident grinch to start with older hardware such as Xeon E5-26xx v2 and I have found this which I will probably kit with dual Xeon E5-2650 v2's which come at 35 pounds each.

Now this is a pretty nice price for the motherboard, but the chassis does not meet my requirements as it is very small ( I would like to house 6 HDD's and a couple of SSD's) and 1U will potentially be too noisy for my living room where the server will reside.
The problem is then that the aforementioned motherboard is EE-ATX and finding a cheap case for it is not easy.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I find a motherboard that is at max E-ATX for which there are a multitude of options for the case.
On another note, provided the chassis comes with a Supermicro PSU, are these of good quality? Or should I replace this as well with a Seasonic one?

Cheers
That's a fine motherboard, but as you've already discovered, you will have a very hard time finding a suitable case.

I can vouchsafe from personal experience that 1U servers are far too loud to install in a living room. Even the 4U cases are too loud for this usage, IMHO.

Inxsible

Guru
I can vouchsafe from personal experience that 1U servers are far too loud to install in a living room. Even the 4U cases are too loud for this usage, IMHO.
If no rackmounts can be put in the living room --- then that precludes buying any other form factor except mini-ITX and micro-ATX and maybe a few ATX. Given the dearth of mini-ITX server boards and also the fact that they don't offer much in expansion, the only sensible choice left is micro-ATX for which you would find plenty of decorative & quiet cases that can be placed in the living room.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
There are also 2U versions from Supermicro around with this board (or something very similar) inside it.

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
In the end I went with a Fractal Design Define 7 XL. I am quite happy with my choice :)
If anything it can be repurposed to a massive gaming rig :p