Building Nas for video editing

NugentS

MVP
He's UK based.
I would also be looking at a full sized (height) case with a SAS3 expander (for SSD). The full size so that you can fit full height cards for the PCIe bifurcation cards.

But sensibly, rather than build it yourself contact a SuperMicro dealer and be very specific about what you want.
My suggestion:
24+ Bay Case, 4U, SAS3 Expander
Motherboard, Twin CPU, As many 16 Lane slots as possible with Bifurcation Support, SAS on board or add an HBA (SAS 3200, 3224, 3216) flashed to IT Mode. Note that the HBA will need an x8 slot as will the NIC leaving all those x16 slots for PCIe
128GB Memory (to start), buy expensive so you can expand without taking it out
Dual PSU with a decent wattage (900+)
Dual CPU, 6-8 Cores, High base clock speed, don't pay too much attention to boost speed
Network adapter depends on the motherboard - but be prepared to add a quad port SFP+ Card from Chelsio or Intel

Or

If you are prepared to consider 2nd hand maybe talk to www.bargainhardware.co.uk (I am a happy customer from when I have used them) and see what they can provide. I just spec'd something up at 2196 inc VAT but you will need to add a network card. Its also a little short on X16 slots unfortunately (it has 1), the rest are all PCIe x8 although there are 6 of them.

Disk capacity and configuration depends on budget and requirements but you should have lots of bays, so lots of options.

Dice

Wizard
But sensibly, rather than build it yourself contact a SuperMicro dealer and be very specific about what you want.
Technically yes - budget wise .... OOUUUFFF.... heheh
But also - here I think it is key to make up OP's mind if it is 'straight to stage-2' or get the 'stage-1' solid, with a thought out path to stage-2. This will be important also in the ....other option below:

If you are prepared to consider 2nd hand maybe talk to www.bargainhardware.co.uk
I think this is a really solid option. I've been in touch with them too.

NugentS

MVP
1 x SuperMicro CSE-847 X10DRH-CT 36x 3.5" (LFF) Chassis
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2667 V3 - 8-Core 16-Threads 3.20GHz (3.60GHz Boost, 20MB Cache, 135W TDP)
2 x SuperMicro 2U Heatsink
4 x 32GB DDR4-2933Mhz (PC4-23400, 2Rx4)
1 x No RAID Controller & No SAS/SATA Cables
2 x SuperMicro (PWS-1K21P-1R) Hot-Swap 'Gold' PSU 1200W
1 x SuperMicro 2U Ball Bearing Rail Kit
2 x UK Plug to C13 (Kettle Lead) Power Cable

You will need to supply a suitable HBA as the one on the board is unsuitable and NIC. Thats two *8 slots gone leaving 1*16 & 4*8 = best case 12 NVMe drives with no switching and 36 slots for 2.5/3.5" drives for bulk or SATA/SAS SSD's

Oops forgot the PSU's
£1898.00 inc VAT from bargainhardware.com

Its an X10 board - so should support bifurcation

Last edited: