BUILD Building a new 8x4TB RaidZ2 nas

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledip

Dabbler
Hello guys,

First of all, please excuse me for my english, it's not my native language.

I am planning to build myself a new nas. I currently run with a DS1815+ Synology and i'm quite happy with it, but i'm about to run out of space and I'd like something i could expand more easily in the future.

My NAS will almost only be used to share files with my HTPC (running kodibuntu). No encoding or transcoding needed.

I plan to use 8x4Tb HDD with RaidZ2.

I read cyberjocks guides about hardware recommendations, zfs for noobs and ECC Ram, and here's what i think i'll go for :

Case.................: Fractal R4 - 0€, already own this one, i'll change it when i'll need to
Motherboard...: Supermicro X10SL7-F - 340€
CPU.................: Pentium G3240 Dual-Core 3.1GHz - 60€
RAM................: 2x Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 8GB - 180€
HDD................: 8x 4Tb WD Red - 8x170€
PSU..................: Seasonic G450 - 90€
Various............: Cables, probably one more fan, ... - 50€

Grand Total : 2080€
Sadly, euro is killing my budget but what can i do ... I don't feel comfortable mail ordering hardware and anyway, there would be taxes and shipping costs ...

Anyway, what do you think about it ? Nothing fancy here, but i'd like your opinion.

I've got one more question :

I read in cyberjocks guide that if you lose a vdev, you lose the whole zpool. Pretty clear. But is it possible (and secure) to have more than one zpool ?

If so, what's the point to had more than one vdev to a zpool ? Is it not best to had a zpool, and not jeopardize all the datas if one of the vdev dies ?

Thanks by advance guys !

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I read in cyberjocks guide that if you lose a vdev, you lose the whole zpool. Pretty clear. But is it possible (and secure) to have more than one zpool ?

If so, what's the point to had more than one vdev to a zpool ? Is it not best to had a zpool, and not jeopardize all the datas if one of the vdev dies ?
You don't just randomly lose a properly-setup vdev. That's why.

doubledip

Dabbler
You don't just randomly lose a properly-setup vdev. That's why.

Sure ... But i just understood that in zpool, there's "pool" ... so by having multiple vdevs in one pool, you span datas accross vdevs ... So here's my answer. Should have researched that.

Status
Not open for further replies.