Building 1U server Recommendations......coming from ReadyNas

ThatGuyAZ

Dabbler
As the title says I am looking to build a TrueNAS box to takeover what I currently have being done by my Readynas 3138 w/ 14TB usable over 4 drives (4,4,8,8) that was purchased in 2016 (HDD are WD Reds, but were bought in 2016). I am trying to stick with the 1U format and I understand the limitations that will present me. Hoping that someone can help me with suggestions.

What do I currently use my Readynas for?
  • Backup of my data (Family Pictures, home movies, purchased Blurays, software I've purchased, etc)
    • I do have BackBlaze for computers, but I back up all pictures to this device as I can
  • Plex Server
    • 4K and 1080p files
    • There are 6 TVs in house
    • Typically no more than 2-3 streaming at any time
    • Stream to PS5, Rokus, and Sony Android TV
    • The only time remote streaming is when I am traveling (not since COVID)
  • SMB Share for IP Cameras - 6 cameras
  • uTorrent app

I am looking to build a FreeNAS server that can handle all of the following:

• Backup my data (see above)
  • Allow me to get rid of Dropbox by using NextCloud/OwnCloud
  • Plex Server (see above)
  • Blue Iris - For 8-15 IP cameras (3-4MP cameras)
  • uTorrent
  • Unifi Controller only 2 APs (move off Raspberry Pi)
  • Asterisk server w/ 2 SIP trunks and very low usage (move off Raspberry Pi)
  • ******Bonus Points******** LAGG support
  • ******Bonus Points******** If I can get rid of my i5 pfsense router currently hosting 1.25Gig/35meg with multiple VPNs (server and client) and 5vLANS (ntopng, snort, pfblockerNG, etc)
My setup currently struggles with Plex. So in reading their forums I need something with a passmark over 20k. So I was looking at i7 & i9 cpus to start this build. Then today (after already buying some things) decided I should come to this website and see what they stated. Lo and behold, not fans of the i7/i9..... so I came here to ask for advice. Below is what I purchased so far:

• SuperMicro CS-813M 1U chassis with 350w PS
  • Sliding rail kit for 1U SuperMicro chassis
  • Dynatron L3 All-in-one 1U server liquid cooler
  • Intel i7-10700k (purchased yesterday but can be returned)
So with the remaining items that I have to purchase I would like to stay in the $500-$800 range. Is a Xeon e5-2699 v3 a good CPU instead of the i7? Which motherboards? I know I shouldn't ask, based on the guide, but do I really need ECC RAM? Are my HDDs getting to old, do I need to replace those?

Thank you for reading this really long post!

takeover what I currently have being done by my Readynas 3138
You are going to love TrueNAS! Be aware, there is a steep learning curve though. I left the ReadyNAS platform a long time ago as I found it proprietary and too limiting. It was an awful Plex platform.

Is a Xeon e5-2699 v3 a good CPU instead of the i7?
I'm not a h/w guru, but I would say stick with the Xeon as the i7 doesn't support ECC RAM. If you value your data, you'll want to stay with
ECC RAM.

Are my HDDs getting to old, do I need to replace those?
How are you backing up that 14TB at present? If you're not, you can leave the ReadyNAS as a replication target until you're able to replace it with a second TrueNAS server.

kherr

Explorer
What's so wrong about the use of Plex ....... that's what I mainly run. the only thing bad about Plex, is within the Plex software it's self. All it sees is a storage device ..... whether on a computer (which does have limitations) or one of the many NAS' out there. I see NO difference between a TN or the Qnap other than the way it is installed. In fact with the Qnap I'd have to wait for the .pkg to be created by someone, where the TN uses the file directly from Plex.

I can create the jail and fresh install Plex in 5 mins .... The only thing that takes time is backing/restoring the massive config/settings/meta file (~2000+ video files). And that only occurs when doing a total rehab of vdevs ......

But then again I had the intelligence/forethought that when I created my files they were all .mp4s, so they run natively on ALL of my devices. Anyone that uses a different format to FORCE transcoding don't know what they're doing.

ThatGuyAZ

Dabbler
I'm not a h/w guru, but I would say stick with the Xeon as the i7 doesn't support ECC RAM. If you value your data, you'll want to stay with ECC RAM.
Thank you for your suggestion

How are you backing up that 14TB at present? If you're not, you can leave the ReadyNAS as a replication target until you're able to replace it with a second TrueNAS server.
I am not backing it up. Hence why I want to move to TrueNAS with multiple hard drives so short of a fire I shouldn't have any issues. Is that not correct? Was hoping to sell the 3138 after I complete this build.

Hence why I want to move to TrueNAS with multiple hard drives so short of a fire I shouldn't have any issues. Is that not correct?
As long as you understand that disk redundancy is not a substitute for backing up. If you lose a pool, you lose everything in the pool unless the data has been backed up. Backup becomes an almost trivial exercise if you're able to replicate your pool.

jayecin

Explorer
I cant recommend a 1U case, however I run a 10700 TrueNAS box with plex transcoding. Transcoding a single 4k x264/x265 stream to 1080p generally uses around 30-40% of the CPU. In future builds of FreeBSD the iGPU on 9th and 10th generations will be supported allowing for Plex to utilize hardware transcoding and Quick Sync functionality. Also I dont run ECC like most people here, a lot of FUD about no ECC that IMO is just unfounded, not saying ECC doesnt reduce data loss risk, I just dont think its as common or likely as people here do.

ThatGuyAZ

Dabbler
I cant recommend a 1U case, however I run a 10700 TrueNAS box with plex transcoding. Transcoding a single 4k x264/x265 stream to 1080p generally uses around 30-40% of the CPU. In future builds of FreeBSD the iGPU on 9th and 10th generations will be supported allowing for Plex to utilize hardware transcoding and Quick Sync functionality. Also I dont run ECC like most people here, a lot of FUD about no ECC that IMO is just unfounded, not saying ECC doesnt reduce data loss risk, I just dont think its as common or likely as people here do.
Thank you for your feedback.
My main issue with Xeon processors is that while they do support ECC, they don't typically support Quick Sync, so Plex/Blue Iris will run less "efficiently." I don't know if the ECC is overblown or if it is something that I should truly factor in. I guess I have to make my decision pretty soon, was hoping for some more context, but am appreciative of all the responses I have received.

dak180

Patron
I don't know if the ECC is overblown or if it is something that I should truly factor in.
I would suggest reading this post to answer that question.

My main issue with Xeon processors is that while they do support ECC, they don't typically support Quick Sync, so Plex/Blue Iris will run less "efficiently."
The Intel Xeon E-2146G (and any other Xeon with an igpu), for example, will support quick sync though motherboard / chipset support is also required.